45 | Checkmate

SUTTON45

SUTTON
45. checkmate

Today was the kind of day that made people forget their worries, but it wasn't working for me.

I reached down and yanked a book from my bag. I dusted off the pencil shavings off the cover before giving the title a quick read and dreading the fact that I had decided to procrastinate the assignment and I only had this weekend to read the entire book for a book report.

I sighed, brushing the bang that fell from my face. I was starting to get tired of the mess of curls that I never could tame.

"Bye, Sutton." I caught a glimpse of Dakota and Harlowe waving at me as they went home.

I waved back and saw as Dakota walked towards the bus and Harlowe ran to a boy with flopping, brown hair and chocolate eyes. They wrapped their arms around each other before sharing a kiss. Then he led her to his expensive car, opening the door for her before he glanced around the parking lot. His eyes met mine for a second. My eyes narrowed at him.

I could tell he had gotten the message I wanted to send him: don't fuck with her.

He nodded his head swiftly as he pulled out a pair of sun shades from his back pocket and slipped them on. He crossed over to the other side of the car before he had gotten inside.

I felt a body plop down next to me on the bench.

"Staring much?" I heard a familiar voice say and I turned my head to find Silas sitting next to me. His nearly empty backpack laid beside us as he began to relax against the hard metal against our backs.

We watched as the car pulled out of the parking spot, taking our best friend with it.

"I'm wary," I said as I began to crack open the pages, "I still don't trust him."

Silas was silent for a few beats. I knew how he was. Protective over our friends, especially with people he didn't know.

"He knows what happens if he fucks up," I heard the stiff metal creak as he shifted around, trying to find a comfortable spot.

"He's famous, you know."

"He knows what happens." I could sense that the conversation was over so I didn't say anything else, and instead, I began to read.

The words started to blend during the first three pages.

"What are you reading?" I felt Silas' body heat as he leaned towards me. I fought the urge to blush. I've been getting better at it. At least, I hope I have.