How it starts

She was getting ready to go out with her friends again as usual, in fact too usuall for Helen. She stood for a long time staring at her reflection in the mirror, thinking about where they were going this time.

Maybe they would go shopping again and spend the rest of the afternoon in a small coffee shop talking about their relationship details that she always wasn't interested in because she was single.

She didn't wear too much make up and preferred to stay home sleeping or reading african historical books, but she didn't want to give the impression that she was a loner and instead for the sake of friendship becomes a person that she isn't.

Apart from her obsession with african history, Long loose fitted gowns worked for Helen and that didn't change a bit, her friends were much different though. they wore Short revealing dresses which were inappropriate to Helen considering they were all in relationships.

Sometimes Helen would wonder if thier "men" were ever bothered about how they dressed. She put on a bright orange polka dot dress that reached a few inches below her knees. Tying her hair in a simple pony tail as she takes another phone call from Lois who just got engaged recently.

"I'm almost done just a few more minuets" she said, quickly putting on a pair of black shoes as she rushed down the stairs and out of the house.

Vera had invited them to her friend's afternoon event, she was the richest and had wealthy friends, anytime they went shopping it was always on Vera out of generosity that is, or one of Thier "men" as they would always say "it's on my man for today" gladly, with intimidating pride.

The place was quite crowded for a small afternoon party, everyone was engaged in some kind of conversation with each other, laughing loudly at what the other person said to the person. Helen watched silently from the far end of the room next to the open door as she searched for any familiar face, which was to no avail. Finally, she spotted Lois who was deep in a conversation.

"Lois!" she shouted while walking towards her, lois' gaze was not friendly and she knew why, she was late. But then it changed to that of embarrassment just as Helen walked up to her. "What's wro.." Lois quickly dragged her into the hallway escaping the attention that Helen had attracted and that Helen was not aware of.

"You didnt have to yell like that helen" Lois' grip was firm on Helen's wrist as she walked up the stairs, she wasn't rushing but she wasn't walking slowly either. lois stopped abruptly in front of a huge door and faced Helen.

"I don't know why you can't just be on time and what are you wearing?" Lois asked while glaring at Helen's simple dress. "What's wrong with my dress" Helen asked her chest pounding a little not wanting to be lashed by her friends today. "You look like a twelve year old girl Helen and your dress is too long.

"Well I don't recall it beign a bad thing to wear a long comfortable dress" Helen retorted getting annoyed "I'm not saying it's bad I'm just saying it's odd for this party" Lois replied briefly before opening the door  which was a room filled with ladies, Thier faces glittered as the sunlight shone through the open window.

Special friends Helen thought to herself as she noticed that truly she was the odd one, Thier dresses were much shorter and shiny,the mixture of gold, black, silver and so on filled the room giving way for Helen's polka dots to be oddly recognised.

She self consciously adjusted her dress by smoothing the imaginary wrinkles in front of it and clearing her throat. she felt uneasy and a little bit uncomfortable, it was nothing new to her.

"Over here Helen" Lois gestured for Helen to come along, Helen looked past Lois to find her group of friends in a corner laughing together, each one of them holding a glass of wine.