The right thing

"What are you doing here?" A deep voice asked from behind Helen which made her to squeak in shock. The voice came from the other end of the room but echoed loudly and sent shivers down her spine.

She turned around slowly, as fear was begining to crawl up her back, and her fingers vibrated. She thought it was a security guy since lady Katherine was so rich or maybe some kind of relative or family friend or husband, Helen was unsure but there was one thing she didn't want and that was getting into trouble with Vera.

Helen being aware that this was Vera's invitation knew that nothing was supposed to go wrong because Vera already hated her, and being discovered as a stranger wandering around in a respected lady's home would be a very disturbing situation, So she decided to lie to escape trouble.

"Oh I'm so sorry I got lost looking for the bathroom" she said trying to put on a higher pitched quivering version of her voice and it went unsuccessfully well. "So you thought the toilet was in here?" The man who seemed to be pretty tall said as he took slow deliberate steps towards her.

Helen took steps backwards just as the man approached, she didn't want him to see her face. "Don't worry I'll just go" she expected him to leave but the man just wasn't having it and as he noticed her retreating steps he increased his pace a bit.

Helen started to panic as she looked around for a place to run and noticed once again how big the library was. She swallowed the lumped in her throat and ran towards the other end of the library and luckily for her there was another way which most of the the libraries she went to didn't have due to thier lack of size.

She went into another role in between the book shelves and dashed toward the front but fate disagreed with that and instead, she tripped on her own foot falling flat on her face with a loud groan.

The sharp pain in her head brought tears to her eyes, she was sure there was a bruise on her forehead as she placed her palm against it. Today was Just not her day.

"Why did you run off like that" mystery man said, irritation lingering in his voice. He picked Helen up and held her by the waist to keep her steady. "I'm so sorry for being a nuisance" Helen said her face scrunched up in pain.
"I'm just so out of place here.

The sadness, humiliation, frustration and vulnerability she felt was too much to handle. For the past seven months the emotions have been weld up inside her. She leaned into the warmth of his body and burst into tears.

Everything had happened, everything had disappeared. It was a new feeling for her. The feeling of warmth. She wasn't always comfortable with men touching her, but this was different she liked it, she wanted it, she needed it.

Helen gripped onto his shirt tightly and let out all her pain. She decided to end it with them, Vera and her group. If trying to make friends was this difficult then she simply won't , After all it was just seven months of friendship.

She couldn't deal with them any more, if they weren't going to accept her the way she was then so be it. She concluded and pushed mystery man, who had been standing there the whole time patiently making himself useful away slowly .

She wiped her tears and sniffed continously. "Thank you" she said kindly and walked away leaving mystery man in astonishment. She was going to carry out her mission.

She didn't hear the man come after her and was relieved at least he didn't see her face thanks to the slight darkness of the library, yep it was dark, which meant it was not supposed to be occupied.

The long devastating walk down the hallway gave her time to think a little. Maybe she should wait after the party at least not to ruin Katherine's birthday with a breakup.

Just as she neared the balcony some lady thrust a tray of glass cups into her hands swiftly muttering some words. She was really pretty and had green eyes just like katherine, Helen thought to herself but before she could protest the pretty lady was already gone.

Helen figured the drinks were to be served and went on to do the job, she liked trying new decent things. She walked into the balcony filled with laughter and a fancy atmosphere, exactly where she didn't belong.

Helen was lost in the divine aura of the place when "what the hell!" Helen bumped into someone and spilled red wine all over her.

Just as it happened she was unexpectedly  slapped across the face which came along with a swarm of insults.

Now Helen knew who the lady was. It was Vera. The only person mother nature could send.

The action attracted the attention of the crowd and the music stopped, the room was silent now.

"I'm so sorr..." the words hadn't gotten out of Helen's lips yet before she was slapped again.

The only words Helen could let out of her lips were "I'm sorry" but Vera kept yelling insults and curses and as she raised her palm to slap Helen one more time she was stopped.