Chapter 22 // Truth

A little too perfect...

Damn, I'm really jealous of what could have been. If this day never happened, if we never did that. Maybe we wouldn't be stuck like this, watching what should have been. But it wasn't. Really, watching what your future would have looked like is like watching a movie. Surreal, beautiful, heartbreaking. And you feel detached, because that person that looks like you, talks like you, feels like you, isn't you. Because it's just an image of what you were, are and would have been. But it simply isnt.

The day Katsuki would have gone deaf is the day I died. I wasn't quick enough to harden my back and chest, so the big guy who tackled me, stabbed right through my lungs, shredding them to pieces. My death was painful and not quick at all, I slowly choked on my own blood. As soon as my eyes closed and I died, is when I kind of detached myself from the body. I was no longer trapped in that piece of flesh, I was free. The moment Bakugou found my body pained me so much. It is true, I love him, even beyond death. He set off the explosion, but this time i wasnt there to carry him to safety. So he died too. And thats when we started to see what our future could have been, if I had been fast enough. It was agonizing to realize that it's all my fault.

I don't even know what we are. Souls? Ghosts? Spirits? Something in between? We just are. Until we were seperated again. I didn't want to leave him at any cost, not now, I needed to make up for what I had done. But suddenly, I wasn't above our dead bodies in the woods anymore, I was in a hospital. Being held in some doctors arms, nurses smiling at me and talking. I wanted to go back, find him and be with him. I let out a scream, trying to demand to bring me back to him, while I was being handed around from nurse to nurse. And then everything made sense. I have been reborn. I have a chance to make it right, I just need to find him and make him realize that it's me. Even if he doesn't remember. But then, I forgot who I was before, just that incomplete feeling stayed.

16 years later

Hi, my name is Kaito Hori, I'm 16 years old and in the UA hero course. I live alone with my father since my mom died a few years ago, my motivation to become a hero is simple: save people. I can't handle to even imagine being responsible for anyone's death, it's like a phobia. After the passing of my mom, I had to undergo intense therapy to stay halfway sane and not jump into traffic or anything like that as soon as I get a chance. But there's something odd about me. I know, being this suicidal is already strange as hell, but there is something so much more crazy about me.

I know who I was in my last live. The realization that some of the memories I had aren't at all mine in this life, but from the soul I carry inside my body, came the day I met him. Well, not really formally met, just bumped into him in the street, but the moment we locked eyes something in my brain clicked. That moment I was overwhelmed with emotion and memories fludding into my head. And finally, his name came flashing in front of my eyes: Katsuki Bakugou. It probably isn't even his name anymore, just like I'm no longer Kirishima Eijiro. After I realized that, I changed. From insecure and reserved, to confident and open. I even died my hair to match, red, just like in the life before. I saw things differently, especially the pro heroes pinky, chargebolt, cellophane and the rest of my class.

Part of me was proud to know them on such a personal level, but the other was sad we could never reconnect. But there is one thing I can get back. The love of my life, my soulmate, my everything, Katsuki Bakugou. My heart ached every night, longing for him, wanting him to feel just as desperate to find me as I am, that he remembers at least the fact that our souls are meant to be united. We were reborn to give us another chance to love each other properly, how it all was supposed to be. But I never saw him since the first accidental encounter. I go out regularly just to look for him. He changed a lot, but he was still beautiful to me, his ash blonde, spikey hair was now light brown, he was a lot taller, but still muscular as before, apparently his attitude stayed and so did his eyes, but they were hidden behind a thick pair of glasses. He even gave me his signature glare and a small 'tch' when the shock of the realization passed me and I started apologizing and waving my hands around. But the one thing that really gave me hope was the spark in his eyes when he looked at me, it felt like he knew. Now, I just have to find him.

It was the first day of school, my first day at UA, so naturally I was super excited. As soon as I found classroom 1a I barged in with a bright smile. But then, I froze. He was sitting there, a slight frown displaying on his face as he was staring right in front of him, ignoring his surroundings. My breath hitched and I tumbled forwards a bit, earning some stares from the other classmates. I was too overwhelmed to be bothered by them, all that mattered was him. Right then, his bored gaze shifted towards me, and I instantly stiffened. His eyes were a beautiful ruby red, and as they lit up when they met mine, the spark made them look even more gorgeous. I felt myself fall in love all over again, grinning like a psychopath, but his face slowly became softer and he smiled lowly.

"Hey there, Ei. I missed your shitty red hair."
His hand raised from it's original spot on the table and what he did next let tears of happiness well up in my eyes.

______________________________________

THE END!

Guys, guys, guys. Don't hate me, I twisted it a bit to make them happy in the end because it hurt too much writing the bad end I had in mind. I really really hope you like this story and thank you so much for reading! It means so so so much to me when I see all the support this story is getting, even if my writing is kinda sloppy sometimes!

-raven

Word count: 1134

Update:  Hey yo guysss, I started a new book, called "you'll be okay". It's very, very angsty and also kiribaku. So, if you're interested go check it out 👉👈
Kayyy, love you!