ii | university of avalon

Gwaine, Elyon, Percival, Lancelot, Leon, and of course, Arthur.

Merlin looked from one bodyguard to another, trying to remember their names by associating with their faces. Gwaine was the one with the tousled hair, with a playful lilt in his eyes. Elyon, with dark skin and perfectly white teeth, was serious and somehow quiet. Percival was the youngest of the group, although Merlin could not resist looking at his, well, bulky arms. Lancelot was quiet, but his eyes held warmth and Merlin could somehow predict that he was smart. Leon was initiative, and somehow led the little band of handsome men. And well, Arthur, as the Head Bodyguard of the Princess', was silent and still familiar.

As the boys chattered away, Arthur kept to himself, his blue eyes glued silently at the car window. Merlin wondered if the feeling she felt when she saw him was not one-sided, but even though she kept on trying to catch his attention, Arthur seemed to absolutely ignore her.

"So..." Gwaine, who was the one closest to her seat, piped. "will all due respect, how were you able to convince the King to let you study in the University of Avalon, your highness?"

Merlin looked at him with amusement, surprised with his audacity. Normally, people would leave her alone, regard her as someone too high and regal to actually engage in small talks. "As the daughter, I have awesome perks," she said. Her bodyguards chuckled in amusement, surprised with her choice of words. "Oh please, we are not in the castle anymore, aren't we? I'd rather put my title behind and just study well in the university."

Gwaine shrugged, a huge grin on his face. "Awesome," he said, echoing her words.

Merlin laughed. She was positively sure she would like this man.

"So, how were you chosen to accompany me?" she asked, knowing the ice had already been broken. She was starting to grow comfortable with these bodyguards. If her parents were here, the whole travel would have been silent, knowing no one would dare talk to the monarchs without being acknowledged first. It was good to interact with people close to her age. It made her feel a little less special.

"We have been trained since we were children, Princess," Leon said this time. "Actually, we did not expect that you will go to a university, but either way, we'd still be your bodyguards."

Merlin looked at them thoughtfully. "Ever since children?" she echoed, surprised she had never heard of this. She used to think that the bodyguards in the castle were hired, with of course after some few gruelling trainings.

Elyan nodded his head. "Our families had been serving the House of Emrys for decades, and we are just living up to their legacy," he explained. He jutted a thumb at the quiet Arthur. "Arthur's family has been in this business longer than any of us here, so I am sure you've heard the Pendragons."

Now that Elyan pointed it out, Merlin knew the name "Pendragon" was familiar. She could vaguely remember rough Uther Pendragon, one of her father's most trusted bodyguards. No wonder Merlin could not remember the man immediately. She could remember the man scaring the shoes off her, and ever since then had avoided him at all cost.

Looking at Arthur now, she could see the uncanny resemblance, but her personal bodyguard had this softness in him that his father lacked.

"All right," Merlin said in understanding. She brought her hands together and looked at her bodyguards in their eyes. She lingered a little longer at Arthur, who matched her steady gaze, before Merlin broke away. "Since you are all my personal bodyguards, I would like to set down the rules."

"We have been briefed beforehand, Princess." Surprisingly, it was Arthur who spoke.

Merlin's eyes landed on him once again. "Let me rephrase that," she said, raising an eyebrow. "I would like to set my own rules."