Episode One: About A Girl / Chapter 4

4 – Viva-la-Vanguard!

The next day came to dawn at the Yumemiru household.

Yume rolled over in her bed as the sunlight cut through the gap in her curtains, finally settling on her back revealing her bare stomach and her mouth gaping, with the smallest trickle of drool in the crease of her mouth.

"Yume!" her mother called.

No response.

"Yume!" she repeated, "If I get up there and you're still asleep you're in for an earful."

Once again, Yume turned in her bed hugging the covers into a twisted bunch. A gentle snore being her only reply.

From behind her door you could hear the quick and heavy footsteps of a furious mother – the one-woman stampede. She swung the door open, a displeasured grimace plastered across her face, and walked slowly to Yume's bed, hanging over her slumbering form.

In one hand she held an empty saucepan and a stainless-steel ladle in the other, her default weapons; she held them over her daughter, breathed deeply and clashed the two together.

CLANG!

"Gaah!" Yume's dark ringed eyes tore through the sleep as she lurched forward in bed. Breathing heavily, she looked up toward her mother, "Why... pan... urgh!" and fell back down in bed.

"Yume, I already turned your alarm off once, now get up"

Yume turned over in her bed, burying her face into the pillow, her voice was muffled "What are you saying? Its only six am..."

Her mother held out the saucepan and ladle again and clashed them together once again.

CRASH!

"Wah?! What the hell?"

"It's almost eight, now get up" her mother said leaving the room.

Yume reached over to her alarm clock in denial, and took a glance at it "Look its still- " she turned it back to face her. She went pale.

Downstairs, her mother calmly began placing side dishes into a lunch box, closing the lid and placing the box on the kitchen table. She glanced up smiling, listening to the sounds of her daughter scrambling about, getting ready for school in the short amount of time she had left. Five minutes later she came bounding down the stairs, her uniform a cobbled mess and cardigan draped over her shoulders.

She snatched up the lunch box and darted back out of the kitchen, "Thanks mom, I'll see you later!" she called from the entry way.

"Just one minute" her mother said, arms folded.

Yume replied without looking up from tying her shoes, "Yeah, yeah I'll get myself up tomorrow, don't worry"

"Not that," she licked her hand and patted down some stuck-up parts of Yume's hair, "Can't have you going to school with a cow lick, you have to be more grown up."

Yume stood up straight, without the step down from the house to the entryway she would have been few inches taller than her mother. She gave her a bright smile and thanked her again before leaving for school.

*

Morning break came quickly for Yume, as she had missed a good portion of first period and waited out the remainder of the lesson in infirmary. She went to second period but ended up napping for most of the hour.

Tomoko and Rui entered classroom 2-B a moment after the bell sounded, Tomoko wearing her full school tracksuit and a cold towel around her neck. They walked over to Yume.