2 Sunflowers

The week is quiet and winds down fast, which is fine with me. Trish stops by today to stock up for tomorrow's market; I'll just have to cut the flowers tomorrow morning before I head out. No matter what I tried, Trish wouldn't cave about me skipping the meeting... What's one day, right?

"Don't turn those honey-brown puppy dog eyes on me, it won't work," she groans as we load her truck. "It's just one little meeting and you'll be free in no time."

"I said I would," I grumble, hefting the final crate into the truck bed. "Please don't make this a habit though," I beg, locking my gaze on hers.

"I won't," she relents. "This is just a special case. It could be really good for us." She gives my shoulders a squeeze and flashes a final smile before she jumps into her truck and heads home.

I sigh in relief as she pulls out. All week she's been on me about 'how important this is for us'... I mean, I get it, really I do, but meetings with strangers freak me out. I wish it was easier for me to deal with people and crowds, but it stresses me out and is just flat-out exhausting.

Even though I'm done with today's work, the night's still young. I can't seem to settle down; I'm sure it's just my frazzled nerves about tomorrow. So I grab my bow and head out back to the archery target to let off some steam.

I learned to shoot a bow at the local sportsmen club when I was ten. Even back then, archery was a great way to focus and block out the distractions of the world. Throughout the years I've kept up with it, honing my skills further; I even help coach at the same club I learned at. I'm not usually kid-friendly; I swear too much and have a short fuse, but they are so eager to learn it's easy.

I set up twenty yards from the target and set the quiver down on the grass. Bow in hand, I square up my stance and nock an arrow. Archery is a perfect way to come back to center and release stress. I may not be the most confident person in the world, but put a bow in my hand and that changes.

My motion is fluid - draw, aim, breath, release. My arrow hits with a resounding crack that echoes in the silent evening air.

*Thwack*

I can't help a smirk that creeps onto my face. Next arrow...

*Thwack*

Just like usual, my second shot buries in deeply next to the first. Another four shots leave the bullseye looking like a porcupine.

The last rays of the setting sun remind me that it's time to call it a night. Shooting has worked wonders on my frazzled nerves. The tension has left my neck and shoulders and I'm feeling far more relaxed than I was when I started. All I need now is a decent night's sleep and I may just get through tomorrow's meeting.

---------

Market day again... Great...

After a quick trip to the back garden to pick the sunflowers, I head out. Breakfast isn't required as my stomach is already twisting and knotted. Trish says I only need to stay for the meeting then I'm good to go, not that I'm counting down the minutes.

I pull up to the market and grab the two buckets of sunflowers from the back of my truck. They are just beginning to open and are already stunning. Vibrant colours cover the full spectrum, from classic sunflower yellow against the chestnut brown centers to exotic reds and flashy bicolours.

"Hey Trish, how goes?" I ask, setting the flowers down.

"Wow Jess, those are beautiful!" Trish says, fussing over the flowers. She picks a bouquet out for herself and spreads the remainder out in an eye-catching display, the perfect backdrop to her booth. "Grandmother said she'd be here early to not hold you up."