33 Smooth

"What happened?" I ask with a serious sense of dread creeping over me.

"There was an attack," Liam says.

"Where's Chris?!" The panic blooming inside me is clear in my voice.

"Resting in there," Xavier states flatly, his dark eyes are locked on me.

My blood starts to boil as I spin on him, shoving him in the chest. He wasn't prepared for the force of my anger as he stumbled back a step before regaining his footing. "You had no right!" I yell as my body begins to tremble. He simply shrugs like he didn't think he did anything wrong. I feel something snap as his reaction rubs me the wrong way. 

"You show up in the middle of the night and treat me like some runaway in front of my friend! You should have told me instead of making me think I did something wrong." I'm furious, hurt and more importantly worried about Chris. 

Before I can explode further I turn my attention back to the hospital entrance, to where Chris is. I leave Xavier standing there and beeline for the doors where the women are waiting. Sara is unreadable as usual and Claire looks pissed, I'm far too worked up to apologize. Her anger isn't directed at me though I realize as she wraps an arm around me. "I'll take you to him honey, I'm so sorry. He's going to be fine, he's just resting."

I silently follow her direction as we walk to a quiet wing and she opens the door. I freeze at the sight in front of me. Chris is unconscious on the bed, his bare chest has two large, dressed wounds. A sheen of sweat glistens across him. His regular warm tanned complexion looks pale and grey and his eyes are sunken and shadowed.

"It's not as bad as it looks, Luna," Dr. Phillips says behind me, breaking me out of my trance. He gestures for us to go in. I cautiously make my way to his bedside, the only sound is my drumming heart and the steady beep of his heart monitor. An IV pole has two bags feeding into Chris' arm.

"What happened?" I whisper, unable to take my eyes off of him.

"They were ambushed on patrol," Sara speaks up. "Patrol linked that they thought they had a rogue and were investigating, Chris took off to help. The rogue pulled back and led them into an ambush," she trails off angrily, clenching her fists.

"There's more," I reason. The shoulder wounds don't look bad enough to explain his state.

She nods. "Even out numbered, with the Alpha's help patrol had little problems holding back the attack, but Chris was silvered before reinforcements arrived."

"He's going to be fine," Doc assures me. The IV is to break down the silver trace and flush it, it just takes time then he will heal like normal. We had to sedate him to let the medicine work, he won't wake up for several hours yet."

I put a hand on his clammy skin. The sparks still fly, giving me a small reassurance. He stirs and the heart monitor makes an unhappy sound as he fights the sedatives. I take a step back as Claire's hand lands on my shoulder. 

"Why don't you get cleaned up and get something to eat. It'll be awhile before he's up," she says with a sad smile.

Before I can protest, Doc agrees, "It will give the medicine more time to work, I promise he will look better when you come back." He smiles kindly at me as he gestures to the door.

I reluctantly agree and make my way back to the pack house heading upstairs to Chris's room. I did need a shower since between working in a hoodie, welding and crawling around in a garage, I feel disgusting.

After my shower, I grab some fresh clothes to wear and put on one of his hoodies on my way out. I'm lost in thought as I make my way to the kitchen.