35 Only you

"Not you, him," Jude's accusation hangs heavy in the air. "You may want to reconsider who you trust your mate's well-being to." 

His tone is low and dangerous and Chris's eyes go wide as the realization hits him. His features contort in rage as he turns to face where Jude indicated. "Start talking," he growls dangerously.

The scene unfolding in front of me is like a train wreck, and long past the point of me being able to stop it. 

I should have just kept my mouth shut, but because I didn't, Jude is out of control. And if that isn't bad enough, he pulled Chris into it.

When Chris surprised me by calling Jude over, I never expected this to happen. He just has a way of getting me to open up and when we talked about everything, he just flew off the handle. He said he would try and keep it to himself but made no promises. Clearly he didn't try very hard, as the moment everyone was in the same room he lost it.

I switch my attention to Chris, moving between him and Xavier before he completely loses it. With my eyes locked on his I bring both hands to his chest, desperate to calm him. "Please Chris it's nothing, really, just relax," I beg. He glares past me, jaw clenching but his energy is wavering and starting to even up.

"Nothing?!" Jude cuts in. His blue eyes are locked on Xavier as he looks ready to attack.

Fuck, Jude! Not helping! 

"He is supposed to take care of you and protect you, not hurt you," Jude snarls. And just like that Chris loses it, pushing past me straight to Xavier. 

"What did you do," he growls, inches from Xavier who stands unmoving like he's ready to accept Chris's judgment.

"I lost my temper, there's no excuse it came out without thinking." Xavier pauses for a moment before continuing, "I didn't mean it like that Jess."

In an instant, Chris grabs Xavier by the throat, wrenching his gaze away from me and back to him. Trembling with anger, he slams him back against the house.

"Chris stop it," I latch onto his arm but have zero effect.

Derek and Jace step in. "Brother, listen to your mate, she doesn't want this." Chris snarls but doesn't let go. "Look at her!" Derek's full aura is released, but Chris isn't backing down.

"Chris please," I cup his cheek, pulling his face to look at mine. His eyes snap back from chocolate to hazel, as he takes me in. He drops Xavier, wrapping me in his arms and breathing deeply as he tries to regain his composure.

"I'm sorry baby, why didn't you tell me?" he whispers.

"It wasn't that big of a deal," I reply. "It was just shitty timing on top of everything else." 

"It is, I shouldn't have acted like that, stress or not," Xavier says sadly. Chris glares at him as his body begins to shake again. I wrap my arms around his waist, squeezing tight to keep his attention on me.

"What happened," he grates out after regaining his composure again.

"After the attack, before you were sedated you were fighting it, asking for Jess, I told you I'd get her for you and you relaxed. When I got there she was defensive, annoyed I just showed up like that. I just wanted to get her back to you and get back to finding out who's behind all this before the trail went cold." He pauses, like he's considering the least damaging way to continue.

"She wouldn't come, so I told her to get her stuff and get in the car without answering her questions. I snapped and told her I didn't have time for her shit tonight and yelled at her to get in the car again."