Chapter Nine

Patrick

Drew and Rosie decided that they wanted to go to the shack for lunch, and as much as I love to eat at this place I just can't help but get nervous that Ella will be there. I don't like when my friends make fun of her, but I also don't want them to make fun of me either for sticking up for her or for being her friend. I know that makes me an asshole, but I can't help the way I feel.

We decide to take a seat in one of the booths, and I hold my breath as I wait for the waitress to come to the table. Thankfully it's Jess, and everyone greets her with a smile. It irritates me that if it were Ella waiting on us they'd treat her like shit.

"I need weed." Drew sighs after we all put our orders in. "I've tried to hit Travis up like ten times but he hasn't responded."

I roll my eyes, leaning forward to put my elbows on the table. "I'm sure you'll survive."

Ella comes out of the swinging doors to the kitchen with a couple of plates in her hand, delivering them to one of her tables. When she sees all of us sitting down, the blood seems to drain from her face. I just know that she wants to run and hide right now.

"I think I might have someone for you." Rosie says to Drew, scrolling through her contacts on her phone. I'm thankful none of them have noticed her. She needs a break from them.

"Sweet." Drew smirks, copying the contact into his phone as well. "Thanks. I need some before we all chill tonight. Has anyone invited Jess yet?"

"Oh my god." Rosie sighs, putting her face into her hands. "Can you stop with her already? She's not into you, or any guys for that matter."

Drew shrugs but seems irritated, taking a second to stare down at his hands. Even if Jess weren't gay, she still wouldn't go for a guy like Drew. Jess is the only person in our group that isn't like him, Rosie, or the rest of our group. That's why I don't mind hanging around her as much, but she's still one of those people that just is way too happy all the time. I don't know how she can always keep a smile on her face.

Ella comes back out from the kitchen about ten minutes later carrying a huge tray, and since we're the only large group here I hold my breath and wait for the joking to commence. I want to be anywhere but here.

"Where's Jess?" Rosie asks her rudely. "She was our waitress."

"I know, but she got pretty busy and our boss asked me to do it." Ella says. After she sets the plates down I can tell that she's shaking. She's nervous.

"Whatever." Rosie rolls her eyes, pulling her plate towards her. "Let's just hope that you didn't eat off of these."

Drew starts to laugh, everyone else quickly joining in. "She wouldn't eat yours, Rosie. You got a salad." 

My eyes lock with Ella's for a split second, her eyes alive with humor from our inside joke. I can't help but smile, covering my mouth with my hand. Everyone else thinks I'm laughing at Drew's joke, but Ella knows the real reason.

I clear my throat and send Ella a small smile. "Hey, could I have some napkins?"

Relief seems to overcome her when she realizes I'm trying to be nice, pulling out a couple from her apron. "Sure." She smiles. "Here you go, Patrick."