Chapter One: Familiar Faces

[March 1st, 2017]
~Sean~

"Hey, enano! Time for work! Let's go!" I shook my younger brother awake suddenly as the others yelled from the truck. We were late to work, again.

Our friend, Finn, had hooked us up with a job on a pot farm in California and, although not the best place for a 9-year-old kid, Daniel and I had settled in pretty well. Daniel seemed to like Finn, sometimes more than me, I think. I had to admit that I thought he was pretty cool too. We were close, although we'd never really opened up to each other so there was a lot he didn't know, and a lot I didn't know either.

Daniel and I got dressed quickly and left the tent, running and jumping up onto the back of the truck while our friends cheered us on. "Ay, you made it! Didn't think you'd wake up on time." Cassidy laughed and patted me on the back from where she was sat. "Morning pup, how'd you sleep?" Finn spoke and smiled softly at me. "Morning Finn. I slept well, luckily I woke just about early enough or neither of us would have made it on time." We both chuckled.

After a short drive full of morning laughter (and Big Joe telling us to shut up), we arrived at the farm.

"Go on, Meryl isn't going to be very happy you held us up. You should take more responsibility and go to bed at a reasonable time. Not.. get high at midnight.." Big Joe instructed, pushing the group of us into the farm. Hannah and Cassidy made eye contact and proceeded to flip him off, luckily not grabbing any unneeded attention.

"Alright. Get into your teams, Hannah and Finn, you'll be swapping places for the day. Punishment for slacking off yesterday." Meryl explained as we all entered the greenhouse. Hannah rolled her eyes and scoffed, obviously not too happy she was having to clean up outside after the storm.

Finn wandered over to me and smiled, "guess you're stuck with me all day, pup." I laughed and shook my head. "How lovely. Hey, bet $5 I'll make more trims than you by the end of the day.." I winked and ran off towards Meryl's house. "Oh you're on, Sean Diaz." Finn chuckled and followed after me quickly.

Later, Big Joe let us know the day was over and he'd take us back to camp in about half an hour. Finn looked across the table to me, "So, Mr confident.. how many trims you got?" He peered over into the box beside me and looked over at his again, obviously a little embarrassed. "63, and you?" I smiled at him, knowing I'd already won. "48! Damn Sean, you're a bloody good trimmer." I scoffed at that, hitting him sarcastically. "Yeah yeah, stop trying to soften me up, where's that $5 I was promised?" I laughed slightly as he reached into his pocket and took out the money.

"Here you go, you probably need it more than me anyways." He smiled and handed over $10 instead, I looked at him with widened eyes, "you sure, Finn? I- I was only joking, you don't have to give me anything at all.." I stuttered and rubbed the back of my neck awkwardly. He put a hand on my shoulder, "of course sweetheart, you're gonna need all the money you can get if you're still planning on going all the way to Puerto Lobos."

A little while later we were heading to the camp. I sat on the back of the truck and traced my hands carefully. Although I had good trims, it didn't mean I hadn't cut my hands a few times. "Cheer up, my little Sean. Trust me, it's not as bad as you think." Finn spoke up suddenly, putting a hand on my shoulder. "Other farms in the area just straight down exploit your ass." He smiled, "you gotta be careful with those scissors, they're sharp as fuck." I looked up at him as he spoke and rolled my eyes playfully, "yeah, no shit.." he shook his head as I looked back at the multiple small cuts across my palms.

"Aww, you'll get scars, but you'll get it!" He paused, "Part of the fun! And. Sexier." We both got up and made our way down the dirt path to camp.

"Later Big Joe, smile asshole!" Finn flipped Big Joe off as he drove away and I chuckled. "Careful, he'll catch you one day" he pat me on the back, "Don't worry Sean, I'm careful enough.. and one of Meryl's best workers. As he says, 'you can bitch all you want as long as you work'." We made eye contact and began to laugh. "Oh yeah? Tell that to Cass! She's all complain and no work." Finn nodded in agreement as we continued walking. "That's true. I can finally see why you tell me so many stories of Hannah getting pissy at her, she is so damn annoying to work with all day!"

"You really hooked us up man, a job, cash, friends, safety.. I owe you one." I rubbed the back of my neck. He laughed, "it's no problem dude! The big dogs gotta help out the pups, ya know?" He paused, "..and, I heard about what happened in Seattle.. you don't have to talk about it, but know I'm always here for you sweetheart." I looked up at him appreciatively. He was so sweet to Daniel and I.

"Thanks man.. it's just.. so hard to deal with everything, you know? I haven't had any time to take anything in.. I still can't come to terms with.. well, yeah.." I explained slowly. He nodded as to tell me I could keep going.

"I can't believe my dad's really gone.. and I can't help feeling like it's my-" I stopped mid sentence as Finn spoke up suddenly, "Sean. Whatever the hell happened back in Seattle was not your fault! Cops are stupid, man. I know you didn't kill him. He had no right to shoot your dad like that, no matter if he thought he was a threat or not. The justice system is so unfair and full of racism. Even if you had gone after the cop, I think it would've been perfectly justified. He shot your dad, for fucks sake!"

I tried to smile but my teary eyes gave my emotions away, "I know, Finn. I shouldn't have gone after Brett like that, but he was gonna beat up Daniel! I wasn't gonna stand there and do nothing. But look where that ended us up, Daniel and I wanted across every state on the west side of America, our dad's dead, and we're never gonna get to go home!" I ranted, then started sobbing.

I hadn't had any way to let out my emotions since Daniel and I met Brody back in Oregon and it was taking a toll on me. I was in so much pain, a constant sense of fear and paranoia surrounded my being and I think Finn could tell.

"Don't worry, I'm here. It's alright. I've got you, pup." Finn moved closer and wrapped his arms around me carefully. I grabbed his shirt in my hands and dug my face into his neck. He was warm and comforting. It was a nice feeling.

We stood like that for a while, just comforting eachother in silence. We both had been through a lot, and although we hadn't experienced these things together, we seemed to understand eachothers pain completely.

______________________________

Word count: 1262

I apologize for the bad language (I know some of my family follow me here lol) but most of it was actual lines from the game added into the mix of my story and I felt like it'd sound silly if I replaced it :/