Chapter Four: Maybe One Day

[March 3rd, 2017]
~Sean~

Not much more had happened yesterday evening, Finn and I sat together for a while, I drew, then we ate dinner and Daniel and I went to bed. I wasn't high or drunk when I went to bed and actually slept early for the first time since this stuff started happening, which was nice.

It was finally Friday and I had never been more glad to know it was nearly the weekend. I had been pushing myself all week and I definitely needed a break; we all needed some time off.

I left my tent and decided to sit with Finn and Cassidy by the fire as they were the only other ones up. It was about 4:30am and I couldn't get back to sleep. Suppose my sleep schedule was so messy my body just couldn't keep me asleep, I guessed it was the same with them.

"Morning pup! You're up early, you sleep alright?" Finn greeted me happily. I yawned slightly and rubbed my eyes before answering. "Yeah, I slept well, thanks. And you?" I was sat directly next to Finn now, waving lightly at Cassidy. "I slept okay. Had a lot on my mind though." He chuckled softly and I yawned again. I was, very clearly, still half asleep.

"How about you, Cass? You sleep alright?" I looked over to her and she smiled, "yeah. Thanks for askin', City Boy." I nodded towards her as if to say 'no worries'.

Once people had started waking up Finn asked me if I was interested in having breakfast in the clearing by the lake with him. I accepted gratefully and we headed to the spot we sat at together yesterday evening.

"So, you said you had a lot on your mind back at the camp.. you wanna talk about it? You obviously don't have to but.. I'm listening if  you do." I questioned after a while, not wanting to push any boundaries. Finn sighed and leaned back, "It's fine. I was just thinkin' 'bout yesterday. Still can't wrap my head around it. How the hell did you cope with that on your own for so long?" He waved his arms around as he spoke, clearly passionate about the subject. I shrugged, "I dunno, I nearly didn't. If it weren't for the fact that I've gotta keep Daniel safe.." I trailed off. He seemed to get the message.

"Finn.. how am I supposed to deal with Daniel? It seems like no matter what I do or say he's always mad at me and I hate myself for it. I'm trying so hard to be a good brother but.. it's hard. Especially since Daniel is so young, he doesn't understand." Finn looked at me curiously as I spoke and I could see how he felt bad for me. He was silent and for a moment I thought he wouldn't say anything at all until he finally spoke up. "It's not easy, Sean. Raising a kid is the hardest job you could have put upon yourself in this situation. I know you're trying so hard and I know it seems like he hates you right now, but I promise you it gets easier. You've gotta be patient with your brother, try and understand what he's going through. He's mourning too, sweetheart." I smiled at him appreciatively; Finn always knew exactly what to say.

"Things will be easier in Puerto Lobos, no more cops onto us and a proper place to stay and work. Daniel can even go to school again if he wants to. We have a future there. There's nothing left for us in this country; not if I don't wanna go to prison for the rest of my life." I explained calmly and Finn seemed to be happy at the idea of it. "What if.." he paused reluctantly, "what if I go with you?"

My eyes widened slightly at the question and I moved so I was sat upright. "What? I- Finn- I'd love to have you with us, more than anything, but what about Cassidy and the others? What would Hannah think if she found out you planned to leave her and go to Mexico. You'd be wanted by the police too!" I struggled to get my words out, shock still present on my features. He scoffed, "I'm gonna end up in prison for helpin' you either way darlin', I'd rather stay with you and be of some use than be stuck in a cell and not know where you are or if you're safe. You and Daniel are my family now, I've gotta protect you." He reasoned.

He was right. He'd either go to prison for helping me or go to prison for working on a pot farm in the middle of nowhere, maybe both. And it's not like I didn't need the extra help, I'd take anything I could get if it meant helping keep Daniel safe. He was my top priority right now. I'd be totally lost if I didn't have Daniel, and Finn, for that matter.

"Alright-" I began to agree, just to get interrupted by the sound of Big Joe's truck; it was time for work. "We'll talk about this later, yeah? For now we've got work to do." Finn smiled and stood up, offering a hand to help me up in the process. I could tell this day would be a long one.

I was correct about it being a long day- I couldn't get Daniel to stop complaining and Meryl threatened to fire us both. He was right when he said a pot farm was no place for a 10-year-old; Daniel wasn't very good at following rules. We were on our last warning.

It was time for Finn, Cassidy, Jacob and I to get paid for the week and Daniel wasn't happy he couldn't go inside with us. "Come on dude, adults only." I put my hand on his shoulder. He groaned, "But Sean! I work too! I deserve to go in there.." I just rolled my eyes and looked at him sternly. "Daniel. I'm serious. We're on our last warning, if you pull anything Meryl will fire us and we'll never have the money to get to Puerto Lobos." He huffed but nodded, hopefully getting the message.

I walked into Meryl's house after everyone else and stood in line between Cassidy and Finn. "Look at that, you're all on time for once." Meryl joked but we didn't laugh. That was how it worked here; stay serious when on the farm or your job's on the line. "So.. Jacob. You're quiet; I like that about you. Didn't think you'd last long but you've proven me wrong! Very nice work." Jacob nodded and smiled gratefully as Meryl handed him his pay for the week. He left the room quickly, presumably heading back to camp.

Meryl motioned to Cassidy next, "Cassidy.. Joe tells me you've been complaining a lot this week." Cass scoffed, obviously not impressed. She didn't like Big Joe and she made it obvious. "Of course he did.." she muttered. Meryl sighed and put his hand on the table, clearly having had enough of Cassidy's complaints. "Look, you can chat all you want as long as you work, and you have been. Although your trims aren't perfect, you're getting the job done. That's all I ask."  He handed her her pay for the week and dismissed her.

"Now.. Sean. Your trims are nearly perfect every time, I'm impressed. However, your brother has caused some sort of trouble every day so far. This place is no place for him and you know it. I'm afraid that for this reason he'll no longer be working for us. And neither will you. I can't have a kid here and I know that you're not planning on leaving him on his own anytime soon." I felt my breath hitch. We were gonna have to leave. I felt Finn's hand on my shoulder and I flinched slightly as he spoke, "Come on man, it's not his fault! He's one of your best workers and you know it, you'd be losing seriously good work by letting him go!" Meryl sighed. He obviously wasn't gonna take anything from anyone, his decision was final. "It's alright. I understand. Daniel's out of place, I'm sorry. We'll be out by tomorrow evening."

Around ten minutes later Finn and I were leaving the farm with Daniel. "What do you mean we're leaving? Why?" Daniel questioned, clearly confused. I stopped walking and turned to face my brother. "We've been fired. Meryl doesn't want you around, so we have to leave." I explained bluntly. I was fairly annoyed at Daniel right now, even if I knew he couldn't help it. He hadn't listened to me. Again.

He looked upset, "but.. I like it here. I don't wanna go!" He cried out. I rolled my eyes. "Oh yeah? Deal with it. It's not my fault you can't listen to the goddamn rules! I warned you, Daniel!" I lashed out. He opened his mouth to speak but quickly clamped it shut again before turning and running off towards camp. "Daniel! Wait- no, I'm sorry!" I stumbled as I reached a hand out towards him. He was already gone. "Damn it! Not again.." I yelled out in anger and guilt, I didn't mean to upset him.

I felt someone grab me and pull me back suddenly and watched as a tree fell across the path. "Woah! Watch it, you're letting your emotions take control." Finn spoke into my ear, his breath hot on my neck as he held me upright. I blushed and jumped out of his grip. "Ah! Finn! Sorry, I forgot you were there.." I laughed awkwardly and he patted my head. "It's alright pup, take it easy. You okay?" He smiled reassuringly and I nodded

"Let's head back to camp, I suppose we've gotta discuss that offer of going to Mexico together earlier than we thought." I used my powers to lift the tree carefully and put it to the side so we could get through. Finn grinned, "Yeah, I suppose we do."

____________________________________

Word count: 1695