Chapter Four - Sand and Emptiness

A few hours had passed since (y/n)’s arrival at Kyoshi Island, and though nothing of substance had happened, she was glad to have some peace and quiet at last. She stayed at the beach, hiding in the trees nearby – she shuddered at the thought of what the people here would do to her upon seeing her Fire Nation clothes. She was hoping to bump into Aang when he was alone, as he would understand her situation better than anyone else. Maybe Roku had managed to contact him? She certainly hoped so. And hey, at least she’d get to meet another Air Nomad!

She sighed, shifting her eyes that had been staring intently at the beach for the past couple minutes onto the ocean. An elephant koi jumped out, the water droplets almost reaching (y/n)’s hiding place. It was followed by another fish, and then another, and then everything went quiet and nothing remained but the ripples that slowly disappeared as they spread out further and further across the water. (y/n) looked back at the beach. Still, nothing had changed. The island would have been a nice place to live, (y/n) thought, a peaceful place, removed from the conflict happening everywhere around it. She would have a nice house overlooking the ocean, a little garden where she grew vegetables, maybe she’d have some proper friends for once… Just as she was slipping into her third daydream of the afternoon, the silence was broken by the rustle of footsteps on twigs, and a boy with Air Nomad tattoos emerged, followed closely by a group of little girls. Though (y/n) had been expecting this for the past few hours, she still gasped in a mixture of shock and relief. The Avatar was here.

She watched him change into his trunks before climbing into the water and swimming out a few meters from the shore. From the excited cries of Aang and his troop of fangirls, (y/n) gathered he'd promised them to ride.... Unagi? She had no idea what that meant. Regardless, whatever it was, it clearly wasn’t showing up.

“What’s taking so long?” huffed one of the girls tailing Aang.

“I’m sure it will be here any second!” he replied. Seeing the faces of his entourage growing increasingly bored with every second, he took out what (y/n) assumed were some marbles.

“What about this?” he said, marbles spinning around between his hands as he smiled awkwardly at the girls.

(y/n) raised an eyebrow. Surely the Avatar was capable of more advanced airbending than that? And what was he doing messing around like this anyway, what with a war going on? He was just a kid, but still… it didn’t sit well with her. He needed to learn to not let the fame get to his head.

The lesson came sooner than (y/n) expected.

“Not that again. Boring!” exclaimed a girl. She stood up, the others following suit.

“Where’s the Unagi? It’s getting late.”

“Where are you going? Don’t leave!”, pleaded Aang, but it was no use.

“Sorry Aang! Maybe next time.”

The girls walked away, leaving Aang alone. Finally, thought (y/n). This was her chance.

“Aang!” she called. “Aang, get over here!”

He popped out of the water, surprised that there were still people around. The voice didn’t sound familiar either, and way too old to be another fangirl, so who was this?

“Who’s there?”

Not daring to come out of the trees, (y/n) responded: “I’ll explain, just please, come quickly.” She paused. Would Aang even trust this strange person telling him where to go? It had been a hundred years, but stranger danger was still a thing, right? She had to give herself some credibility. “Aang, Roku spoke to me. You’re the Avatar and were frozen for a hundred years, and only recently were you found by Southern Water Tribe members. That’s what Roku told me. He said I have to help you. Please, trust me.”