Chapter Twelve - The Siege of the North

The city stretched out before them; roads, rivers and residences blurring into glistening fields of ice as the wind beat against their blushing faces. Soaring through the clouds on Appa's back, Sokka looked down at the beauty of the Northern Water Tribe, and didn’t take in any of it. Sure, the city was an amazing view, he thought, but the real view was right there – the excited face of the girl sat next to him, innocent giggles escaping her lips as she pointed out every building she could recognize.

“Look, Sokka! I can see the palace!” she smiled, the sound of her voice hitting his ears like a symphony. He nodded, only half-listening as he stared at the ecstatic glimmer in her eyes.

She continued, her face lighting up the sky like the moon lights up a dark night: “Oh my goodness! This is all so wonderful! Wow, I can’t believe you do this every day.”

“Yeah, we pretty much live up here.”

He stretched, breathing in the fresh, icy air. The decision to take Yue on a ride with Appa was a great one, he thought, mentally patting himself on the back. She was enjoying herself so much, and maybe the freedom of the skies was exactly what she needed to put aside her duties as Princess.

“Is it always this cold in the sky?” she asked, and then, much to Sokka's delight, she moved a little closer to him.

He smiled. “Not when you’re with someone.”

“It’s beautiful up here."

She was really blushing now, the crimson dusting her cheeks making her look sweeter and more enchanting than ever, and Sokka suspected it wasn’t just the wind.

“Yeah…”

He turned to her, looking into her eyes, and – his heart leapt with joy – he saw her doing the same, finally letting go of her doubts and apprehensions. Slowly but surely, they leaned into one another, and the distance closed between them. But then – no – thought Sokka – this isn’t right – she didn’t really want this – and so, at the last second, he turned away.

Play it cool – he thought to himself, taking a deep breath to still his beating heart. Like the ice, Sokka. Coooool…

“Woo, yeah! Ahhh, good times, good times,” he finally spoke.

“Yeah…” Yue giggled nervously beside him, and both of them wished desperately that something would happen that would break them out of this awkward silence. Appa was getting tired now, and they were flying down, and neither of them wanted to end their ride on such an uncomfortable note.

It was Sokka who saw it first.

“Hey, Yue!” he said, pointing down to the city below. “Do you see that?”

“See what?” she asked, confused.

“Over there!” he pointed at a shape that, as the pair descended further and further from the clouds, was beginning to look more and more like a person. “The blob!”

“Oh, I see!” exclaimed Yue. “But… wait, is it… waving? At us?”

Sokka saw it too now – a girl was running towards them, following Appa's path as he landed, and frantically signaling at them to stop.

“Well,” said Sokka, “I guess we should see what they need.”

Appa’s feet finally touched the ground, and within a minute of the landing, the waving stranger caught up to them. Immediately, she spoke, her words barely comprehensible through pants and wheezes.

“I… the Avatar… Aang… where… Kyoshi… Roku… aaaaagh!” She sighed, collapsing onto the snow.

After a few seconds, she looked up.