Chapter Nineteen - Pardon vs Payback

Just before sundown, Appa landed in a clearing close to a lake, which gave Katara a bit of time to practice waterbending with (y/n). Normally, she would have just helped the others to set up camp early, but with the way things were going with (y/n) at this point, Katara figured she needed all the practice opportunities she could get. So, while Toph messed around with the boys in Appa's fur, Katara led (y/n) out into the lake, and they began.

“Okay, (y/n), same thing as usual. Just push the water along, gently guide it away from you,” she said, demonstrating as she spoke.

(y/n) did so, copying Katara’s movements as accurately as she could. Katara watched her intently, making corrections where she could, and eventually, (y/n) was able to produce a small ripple.

“Good job, (y/n), but try to pull it up next time, try making a wave, even if it’s a small one,” instructed Katara. “The thing about water is – you have to keep it going once you have it moving. It’s different from the other elements that way – it’s constantly flowing and changing."

(y/n) tried again, creating another, slightly bigger ripple, but still, once it was made, she could no longer control it.

“One quick movement isn't enough the way you do it with other elements – you need to keep the water moving constantly,” explained Katara. “That means you always need to be adapting to it as you bend. It requires a lot of concentration and control – that's what makes water difficult, but it also makes it incredibly versatile. Try again, but really make sure to concentrate this time.”

(y/n) tried, though to be honest, at this point, she wasn’t expecting anything to happen. Still, she focused hard on the water, moving exactly as Katara had told her to, and when the usual ripple began to form, her focus didn’t break. Slowly, she moved her hands up towards her, trying to pull the water up, and this time, to her surprise, it actually worked. She'd finally managed to create a small wave that she pushed and pulled for a few seconds, until she blinked, and the water fell back into the lake.

“I – I actually got it to move this time!” exclaimed (y/n) excitedly.

“Wow! Well done, (y/n), you’re really improving!”

“Only took me two weeks of practice,” laughed (y/n).

“Don’t worry about it. Mastering an element takes years of practice. You’re doing really well!”

“Thanks! Anyway, what should we try next?”

For the next thirty minutes, they continued to practice, with (y/n) finally being able to create small waves. She wasn’t sure why the change, small as it was, had happened now, but she was too happy to question it. Katara, on the other hand, couldn’t help her thoughts drifting to (y/n)’s comment. Two weeks… She wasn’t disappointed, was happy for (y/n) even, but still, the thought troubled her. Aang had managed to do it within a minute, even surpassing her own skills, and, except for the Avatar State, (y/n) should by all means have the same abilities as him… So then, why had it taken her so long to finally get it?

By the time waterbending practice was over and the two had rejoined the rest of the group to help them set up camp, the thought had filtered out of Katara’s head. Right now, she thought, there were more pressing things to worry about. As Aang finished setting up the tent and (y/n) helped Sokka with the cooking, Katara approached Toph, who was slumped against a rock, lazily chewing a piece of wheat.

“So Toph, usually when setting up camp,  we try to divide up the work.” Katara said, hoping that would be enough and Toph would understand.

She didn’t. “Hey, don’t worry about me,” she shrugged. “I’m good to go.”