Chapter Six - Conversations with Iroh Part One

Over the next week, Iroh visited me every day. I guess he must have talked some sense into Zuko, because no other soldiers came in to interrogate me, and thanks to him, since the first night on the ship, my room had basically transformed. There was now a small table, a chair, a carpet, and some books, as well as candles for better lighting. I still wished I was helping Aang instead of being stuck here, but at least now I had something to do and someone to talk to, and anything was better than being left completely alone with my thoughts. I read in the mornings and the afternoons, and in the evenings, Iroh would come in and we'd talk over a cup of tea. This evening was no different.

DAY 7 OF IMPRISONMENT

"You know, I really worry about my nephew," he said, coming into my room shortly after dinner. He put down his cup on the table, sat down and, turning to face me, he continued: "I feel like in his quest to capture the Avatar, he's losing himself."

I sighed. We really had to talk about him, huh?

"The Zuko you saw on your first day here... that's not what he's really like. He's angry because he's hurt."

"Right."

"If he upset you in your interrogation, please forgive him."

I didn't respond.

"I promise he didn't mean any of it... What did he say?"

I thought about it for a few seconds. "It's not really what he said. He didn't say anything that horrible. It's just – he wants to capture the last hope the world has left! And for what? So the Fire Lord can destroy the world for good?"

"I don't think that's what he really wants... I think he's just confused."

"Well, clearly he's made up his mind enough about things to burn down an entire village!"

Iroh bowed his head, and, suddenly, I felt bad for my words.

"Look, maybe you're right. Maybe his personal situation does sort of explain his actions. I just... I haven't talked to him a lot, you know? I've only ever seen him be angry for five minutes, and that didn't exactly leave me with the best impression."

"He's not angry because he's mean." He paused. "Anger is never its own emotion. It is only a distraction we use to avoid facing feelings that are much harder to deal with."

"I guess..."

For the rest of the conversation that evening, and the whole night after, that phrase stayed with me. As much as I didn't want to admit it, it hit too close to home.

DAY 11 OF IMPRISONMENT

"Hi!"

Today, I greeted Iroh with a smile. It was one of the rare days that I was in a good mood, which may or may not have been caused by the extra helping of fire flakes that came with my lunch a few hours earlier.

"I'm glad to see you're feeling better, (y/n)," he smiled back at me. "I have some good news for you!"

"Oh?"

"It appears the Avatar and his friends have liberated a prison ship of earthbenders!"

"Wow, that's wonderful!" I exclaimed.

"Yes... Thankfully, we reached the ship after they'd already left, so there was no fighting either."

"That's great news, Iroh! Thanks so much for telling me! Though..." I sighed, "I wish I could have been there with them."

"Don't worry," said Iroh, "I'm sure the time will soon come when you will be reunited."

I sat there, drinking my tea, hoping that he was right.

DAY 14 OF IMPRISONMENT

Today, it was Iroh's turn to be happy. He practically skipped into the room, tea splashing about in the cups, but somehow never spilling over the edge.

"What happened?" I asked, curious at this sudden diversion from the calm, thoughtful man I'd gotten to know over the past two weeks.

"It's Zuko! I think he's finally beginning to open his eyes!"

"Hmmm?"

More out of respect for Iroh than anything else, I listened.

"This afternoon, I was captured by some people from the Earth Kingdom. I wasn't actually in any danger, or so I thought at first. But I should never have underestimated my opponent."

"What did they want you for, anyway?"

"Back when I was a General, I did certain things that I am now deeply ashamed of."

Whatever it was, he had clearly changed for the better. Deciding not to pry any further, I asked: "So what about Zuko?"

"Ah yes." He took a sip of his tea and continued. "I managed to break free of their chains, but that was not enough. The earthbenders had me surrounded. I was almost captured again when Zuko rescued me." He took another sip. "I suppose one could say that, today, he broke free of his own chains."

"What do you mean?"

"My nephew feels like he needs to capture the Avatar. He ties his success or failure in that task to his honor, which is a thing he values deeply. But today, instead of following the Avatar, he chose to help me. In doing that, he broke free of the chains of the destiny somebody else had decided for him."

"Oh... I guess that makes sense. But then...how do you know he even had a choice to make? Was Aang nearby?"

"I believe so," said Iroh. "I saw him as I was being taken to the Earth Kingdom. Although, it was only his spirit, but–"

"Wait, you can see spirits? That's amazing!"

"I can't see all of them. But I can feel powerful spiritual presences."

"Wow! That's so cool!"

"Thank you," he chuckled. "The Avatar's spirit was riding a dragon, by the way."

"A dragon?"

I smiled. That had to mean Roku finally contacted Aang, or was about to, in any case.

"Yes, a dragon... I was surprised too! But," his face suddenly became more serious, "though Zuko couldn't see the spirit, he knew the Avatar was nearby as well as I did. And, despite that, he chose to help me... Today, he made a step towards shaping his own destiny."

"I guess you're right," I said, and, though I knew Iroh wasn't exactly impartial what with them being family and all, I found myself wanting to believe him. After all, I reasoned, the sooner Zuko found himself again, as Iroh put it, the sooner I'd be off this ship for good. And, right now, getting off the ship was my main priority.

(a/n): sorry - needed a bit of a timeskip chapter