Prologue

Disclaimer: In case you didn't see it already in the description, I DO NOT own any of the Thor 1 plot, characters, or world made by the amazing Marvel Studios. All that I made up with was (Y/N)'s backstory, personality, and powers, including her mother.

This is all in good fun, and under no circumstances am I profiting off of this.

Puente Antiguo, New Mexico

The world was dark around them, like an ominous inky shadow hovering over their shoulders. They had only the stars that freckled the sky and the light from the van to illuminate their work, and everything was too quiet. Grasshoppers and crickets whispered with the wind, but Jane was too focused on her studies to care.

She tapped away at a keyboard monitor, its faint beeping following soon after. Darcy waited in the driver's seat wearily while Erik looked onto Jane's work.

They soon enough cut the power from the van, as Jane and Erik rose up through the skylight window of the vehicle, and attached a homemade gadget onto the roof.

Jane gazed down at the countdown on the device in her hands, and then snapped her eyes up into the sky anxiously, Dr. Selvig repeating the action. Moments of uninteresting, completely normal silence followed.

"Wait for it." Jane assured, as Erik gawked at her questioningly.

"Can I turn on the radio?" Darcy asked begrudgingly from inside the van.

"No." Jane snapped in frustration.

Erik sparred one final glance at the sky, before he turned to Jane once more. "Jane, you can't keep doing this."

Jane pursed her lips in determination, as they ducked back into the van. "The last 17 occurrences have been predictable to the second." She frantically scoured through her book notes for anything she might've missed.

"Jane, you're an astrophysicist," Erik reminded. "not some storm chaser."

Jane clicked a button on the keyboard of a nearby monitor, starting the program on its screen. "I'm telling you, there's a connection between these atmospheric disturbances and my research." She stammered for a second as she added, "Erik, I wouldn't have asked you to fly out here if I wasn't absolutely sure."

"Jane?" Darcy called nervously from further up in the van. "I think you want to see this."

Jane's eyebrows furrowed as she stared out the window at a cosmic-looking thundercloud. Flashes of colours and light burst from its surface. "What is that?" She gasped, and quickly scurried back up the sunroof of the car.

"I thought you said it was a subtle aurora!" Erik professed from beside her as they stared at phenomenon.

"Go!" Jane yelled down to Darcy.

Not even a second later, Darcy already had the petal to the metal, and they were getting closer to the eye of the storm. Jane screamed as the car hit a bump, but they didn't stop.

"Get closer." Jane commanded.

"Right, good one." Darcy bickered

Jane held out her camera to record and shouted once again, "Go!"

The wheels of the van flew over the grassland, and Jane giggled in excitement upon seeing the footage from her device.

Suddenly, the air around them got very cold, and thunder struck the ground at the center of the storm. All three of them in the car exclaimed, before Darcy hit the breaks once she saw the tornado-like gust of dusty wind in front of them. She began to spin the steering wheel in the opposite direction.

"What are you doing?" Jan grilled.

"I am not dying for six college credits!" Darcy hissed back.

The two ladies gasped sharply as Jane tried to take control of the steering with one hand, and Darcy persisted in turning them away from the storm. They both yelled and shrieked as the car went spinning about, and with a flash of light and what seemed to be frost gathering on the windowsill, they hit the silhouettes of a man and woman.

Jane and Darcy glanced at each other in shock, before they along with Erik rushed out of the van.

"I think that was legally your fault." Darcy remarked, waving her flashlight about.

Jane scoured the ground for a glimpse of the people they hurled into, and when she saw them, said, "Get the first aid kit." She kneeled down between their two bodies and leaned in. "Do me a favour, and neither of you be dead. Please."

Erik looked on, standing beside her worriedly.

Jane gazed at the two people in confusion. "Where did they come from?"