Chapter 7: Intertwined

"Soonyoung, I don't think you should've gotten these."

"Why? Are they not good? I thought they looked nice."

"Yes, but.. you know it's not the kind of thing–"

"You don't think it'll just be.. thrown into the trash once you give it?"

Having already picked up on the scent, Minghao was expecting flowers of some kind to be inside the kitchen. Which wouldn't be that weird because they had a bunch of flowers adorning their backyard garden. The flowers Minghao was seeing now, however, looked store bought and professionally arranged.

Soonyoung was the one placing the bouquet into an intricate vase filled with water. Seungcheol, Wonwoo, Mingyu, Seungkwan, and Seokmin all watched with varying wary gazes.

Minghao blinked at the scene as Mingyu piped up, "Don't you think you'll get punched as a thank you instead, hyung?"

Soonyoung laughed like it was a joke. Minghao noted that Mingyu looked quite serious. "You guys are overreacting," Soonyoung answered. The dragon hybrid stepped back and stared happily at the array of violets and purples. "He'll love this!"

"Is it someone's birthday?" Minghao asked but didn't stay still for very long, unable to resist the pull of the coffee maker anymore. As much as animal blood kept him going, caffeine also played a big role in Minghao's survival. That had less to do with being a vampire and more on the fact that he was still half-human prone to late nights.

Last night he'd fallen down the YouTube rabbit hole. ASMR cooking videos were harder to resist than Minghao initially thought.

Jeonghan walked into the kitchen before any of them could answer Minghao's question, the siren already dressed for the day with his hair still damp from the shower. He spotted the flowers on his way to get his own coffee. "Oh, are those for Jihoon?"

Minghao, stirring a packet of sugar into his coffee, shot a confused glance at Jeonghan once the siren stood beside him. "Is it Jihoon hyung's birthday?"

"Today is mine and Jihoon's one year anniversary," Soonyoung replied, speaking almost shyly yet the man was obviously giddy at the fact.

Minghao froze. The cup he was holding halted a few inches away from his lips. "What?"

Jisoo and Hansol decided at that moment to appear, both still in their pajamas. Jisoo looked surprised to see the boquet and his eyes blinked any remaining trace of sleepiness away. The flowers were only interesting to Hansol for a second before he went to find an empty chair to occupy. Even Minghao knew by now that Hansol wasn't a morning person.

"Soonyoung hyung got Jihoon-ssi flowers for their anniversary," Seungkwan explained without being prompted to, to which Jeonghan added, "And apprently, everybody just forgot to tell Minghao that Jihoon and Soonyoung were together."

Soonyoung looked at Minghao like he realized for the first time that Minghao had absolutely no clue Jihoon was in a relationship with Soonyoung. The dragon hybrid gave a sheepish smile while scratching the back of his neck. "Sorry, Hao. I can't believe it hasn't come up in conversation before. I'm normally a touchy person, but I'm agreeing to my boyfriend's wishes about not being too showy with affection in front of others. You've seen how Jihoon's like. It makes sense that he's more private about our relationship too."

The look on Soonyoung's face was familiar. Minghao's seen Soonyoung sporting that exact same expression before. Only today, Minghao realized they had all been directed towards one person.

"Despite the major lack of PDA around everyone, Hoonie and I have been together for a year! I promise we didn't mean to keep you in the dark, sorry."