Chapter 13: Family Day

On Sundays, Jisoo went to church.

He preferred going during mornings as it gave him less of an excuse to skip mass and left the rest of his day free to be spent however he wanted.

It was barely seven a.m. when Jisoo stepped out of the shower. He could have dried his hair in a flash, but some days he liked doing things the old-fashioned way. It also doubled as a sort of sacrifice for the Lord's day—twenty-four hours without using the powers he's come to rely on.

He only had a towel around his waist when Jeonghan jogged up the stairs, baby monitor in his hand. Jeonghan wasn't surprised to see Jisoo awake. "Going to church?"

"Yeah. What's Chan up to?"

"He's entertaining himself." Jeonghan stared at the video of Chan wiggling around in his crib, honey dripping from the siren's eyes. Jeonghan's head snapped up with a musing look. "Hey, why don't we go with you?"

Jisoo's eyebrows knotted. "To church?"

"I mean I can come with you, I don't think the others would go to church. They can head to the park instead? It's supposed to be sunny out today."

"I mean, I guess–"

"Great! I'll go wake everybody up." If Jeonghan's smile was anything to go by, Jisoo understood that this was a done deal. "You handle your roommates. Seungcheol's already cooking breakfast downstairs."

Jisoo hadn't bothered to reply before returning to his shared room with Junhui and Seungkwan who, unsurprisingly, were still asleep in the bunk-bed. Jisoo had his own separate bed since the three of them had played rock-paper-scissors upon moving in together, and Jisoo won.

Too many things inside the house were decided through games of rock-paper-scissors.

It took Jisoo a while to wake both Seungkwan and Jun. Junhui kept agreeing to get up, the wizard moving a bit then falling right back to sleep. Seungkwan whined about it being a Sunday and how he's still too tired for Jeonghan hyung's nonsense until Jisoo threatened to hit him with his damp towel—and Seungkwan hated nothing more than getting wet without warning. It's probably his half-griffin part.

By the time it took his roommates to rouse, Jisoo was already dressed in dark denim jeans and a linen, collared top which would make sure he wasn't too hot inside the church. Like the good big brother he was, he pulled Seungkwan and Jun along by the fronts of their shirts, ignoring their protests entirely.

Downstairs, everybody else besides the three eldest were moving like zombies; half-walking, half-dragging their still waking bodies into the kitchen where the smell of bacon and fried rice made Jisoo's mouth water.

Wonwoo scraped a chair backwards, his features wrinkled with irritation. "I only
got to bed at two. There better be a good reason our aircon was turned off and I was forced to get up before lunch time."

"We're having a family day!" Jeonghan was very proud and excited for his idea. He took hold of Chan's wrist and raised the baby's arm. "Wohoo! You want to go to the park, Chan? Huh? Yes you do."

Chan raised his other arm with a sound that meant he agreed, the shapeshifter blinking at everyone as he calmly continued to suck on his pacifier.

Mingyu helped Minghao set the table, the demon moving sluggishly so he wouldn't drop a plate or utensil in his still sleepy haze. Jun passed by both of them plus Seungcheol to grab the coffee pot, the wizard placing a hand on Mingyu's left horn. The horns slowly disappeared from sight without Jun sparing a glance to check if his magic worked, not really needing to since he's done it almost everyday for the past few years they've lived together. Mingyu grunted out what sounded like a thanks.