Chapter 9: Wishing

Minghao has only ever learned to keep his powers to himself. His given ability to self-heal was what saved him when no doctor seemed to be able to do so, but everything good came with a prize.

He liked the quiet so much because of his heightened senses, which took years for Minghao to get used to so it became a bit more of an advantage than a distraction. He'd lived most of his pre-pubescent years trying to cope with headaches and the different sounds he's never noticed before. Minghao also didn't think anybody who had retractable fangs and claws and the need to drink blood to stay alive could live in this world comfortably.

Though he's growing more comfortable around the creatures inside the house who would most likely never judge him for his abilities (they see him sip animal blood like coffee and they don't even bat an eye), it didn't mean he went around showing off how he could basically carry a full-grown tree branch then toss it several feet away without breaking a sweat.

The habit was still there—the constant feeling of having to hold himself back.

With everybody else though, that didn't seem to be the point.

Minghao had seen it happen during the most mundane times. He'd seen how Soonyoung would blow out a little bit of fire from his mouth instead of using the igniter to turn on the gas stove, how Mingyu immediately took it upon himself to be the one who carried in eleven large grocery bags in one go with his breath barely speeding up, how Seokmin would constantly be at their backyard garden during the morning, coaxing the plants and talking to them with his usual bright smile knowing they would respond to his requests of growing a little bigger or even just a tad faster so they'd have fresh tomatoes and strawberries by dinner time. There was even an incident where Hansol bought the wrong paint for a school project and instead of getting upset he just asked Jun to change the colors, which the wizard did without much thought.

On Saturdays, everybody usually stayed at home for their day-off. It was the perfect time to have a double celebration for Jun and Soonyoung's birthdays.

Minghao was trying to be helpful in the kitchen. Mingyu and Seokmin were the ones in charge of making all the dishes, recruiting those they knew wouldn't trash the kitchen to assist them in cutting ingredients or making sauces.

Seokmin placed three whole garlics on Minghao's assigned cutting board before he suddenly had a thought. "Can vampires be near garlic?"

Minghao stared at Seokmin. "Can nymphs feel the pain of plants when they're cut or stepped on?"

A snort came from Seungcheol. "He got you there, Seokmin-ah."

Minghao grinned at Seokmin and began to work on peeling the garlic. Mingyu's arm stretched over and quickly took the bell peppers Minghao just finished dicing, mixing it with the chicken that was frying away in the pan, the sound of crackling oil loud even in the spacious kitchen. "Stir-fried tofu rice is done, chilli chicken is nearly done, bulgogi is marinading in the fridge," Mingyu ticked off the menus to himself, completely in the zone. The spatula in his hand was like an extension of his arm.

Jeonghan waltzed in and clasped his hands together. "Ah, my little kitchen elves. Smells good in here." The siren looked over Seokmin's shoulder and took a good whiff of the dish inside the steel pot. "I didn't know you knew how to make Miyeok-guk?"

"It's seaweed in a soup, Han," Seungcheol called out from where he was cutting up kimchi cabbage into smaller pieces for yet another stew. 

If Minghao had only started living with everyone yesterday, he'd think they were making too much food. That thought has obviously flown out the window.

Jeonghan waved Seungcheol off. The siren attempted to take a piece of cooked chicken straight from the pot, but Mingyu smacked away his chopsticks. "No, hyung. It's not ready yet."