Chapter 1 || the beginning

Only the sound of metal scraping against the rock floor was heard in the silent room full of examinees ready to take on the Hunter Exam. A ghostly teen, who was the size of a child, was walking around the room, the chain on his collar making the noise as it was being dragged on the floor.

The teen's name was Kalen and it was his first time taking the Hunter Exam. He was having fun analyzing his opponents and looking for future amusement. The pig, Tonpa, had already proven to be quite interesting as he had tried to get him drink juice that was spiked with something strange. As to why he knew that, it was because of the face Tonpa was making when he was about to take a sip. No sane person would look like they were going to win an award when someone was going to drink something they offered.

Kalen had accidentally dropped the can and he asked Tonpa to pick it up. When Tonpa kneeled down, his food had accidentally slipped and thus Tonpa was sent flying across the room. After that, Tonpa had stopped trying to bother him and moved to his next victim.

His next victims were a croup of three people. If he heard right, their names were Gon, Kurapika and Leorio. They were actually stupid enough to believe in Tonpa's facade and weren't treating him like the pig he was. 

Kalen was debating in his head whether or not he should warn them when a scream was heard. Ah, someone's arms were turning into a beautiful shower of red, bloody flowers. Kalen pushed people out of his way to see it better and what he saw didn't disappoint him. There he stood, a magician with pink hair and a grin on his face. 

"Anyways, no one likes him. You should stay away from him", Kalen heard Tonpa say to his new victims.

'What is that disgusting pig saying?? How could someone hate magician', Kalen thinks as the wall opens revealing a man in a purple suit and a funny looking mustache on his face.

"I apologize for the wait. The entry period for Hunter applicants has ended. The Hunter Exam will begin now", the man says making everyone excited.

"A final caution. If you are short on luck or ability, you could very well end up seriously injured or dead. Those who accept the risks please follow me. Otherwise, please exit via the elevator behind you", he warned but no one left.

"Very well. All 404 applicants will participate in Phase One", he starts walking in a weir way and everyone follows him.

"I neglected to introduce myself. I am Satotz, the Phase One examiner. I shall lead you to the Exam's Second Phase", the man, now known as Satotz said as he increased his speed lightly.

Some bald idiot asked about Phase One and Satotz told him that it had already commenced. Some more idiots started muttering some shit about it and Satotz just calmly told them that Phase One is to follow him to the Second Phase venue. He didn't tell them anything about how long it would take though.

Kalen already liked Satotz. His quirky style and way of answering everyone's questions in a somewhat condescending way was right up Kalen's alley. Well, Satotz still wasn't Kalen's favorite. Who was then, you might be wondering. It was the magician from before of course. Kalen hasn't stopped thinking about him for a second since seeing him. Ah, how he wishes he could see him again~.

As Satotz keeps increasing his speed forcing everyone to start running, Kalen hears the old guy from before, Leorio, yelling at a little kid. He was bored anyway so he runs closer to them to eavesdrop on their conversation.

"Hey! Wait up, kid!" Leorio yells so loudly that it almost breaks Kalen's eardrums.

"Hmm?" the kid whom Leorio was yelling at looks at him confusedly.

"You should show the Hunter Exam some respect!" Leorio yells at him again, even louder this time.

"What do you mean?" the kid asks him.