Chapter 5: You Cannot Fail

I felt Second Sister's gaze burning into my back, practically setting my undergarments ablaze.

"Hey, Ginger," Eva muttered as I towered above her.

"Short stack," I fired back, not thinking.

She smirked. "Yes, you aren't wrong. Sort of offensive to make fun of one's height though, don't you think?"

Her small talk was going to drive me insane. I was going to put an end to it.

I raised my saber high, getting in a defensive mode. She was going to strike and tire herself out, and then I would be able to come back with more force.

She wasn't going to win.

Yet, when I looked into her blazing eyes, she showed no fear. She wasn't worried. And it unnerved me.

Suppressing a sigh, I watched as Eva's eyes met mine. They were alight with determination and fire, but they weren't angry.

Eva had the fiery determination to be an Inquisitor, but if she didn't have the anger... then I would just have to make her angry.

But I could not fail.

I resisted glancing up at the Second Sister as the world seemingly fell silent. It was like that ringing at the end of a battle, when the battlefield goes quiet. Your ears are ringing from all the noise, and even though there is clear movement, you cannot hear.

That was how it felt as Eva raised her lightsaber for the first time, bringing it down in a swift motion from above her head to quickly clash with mine.

Her face lit up from the bright colours, making her eyes stand out.

There was no anger, no resentment, no annoyance. She was calm. Collected. Maybe not exactly confident, but not fearful either.

She stepped back, starting low and swinging up.

I let her miss as I took a step back, still not ready to go on the offensive. I smirked as I blocked another strike.

The girl came at me with more force this time, and I barely missed deflecting her blow. 

There was more frustration now as she stepped forward another time. I prepared to deflect her saber, but it didn't come.

Instead, she used the Force in an attempt to push me.

However, it was clear she wasn't a master in it. While it did cause me to stumble, it wasn't nearly enough to change anything.

This was getting boring. I wanted excitement.

Now, instead of waiting like I had originally planned, I was going on the offensive. 

My saber swung mercilessly through the air and barely missed her.

Eva looked more concerned. Yet she still was not afraid. No fear, no anger.

She tried coming back at me with another spinning move, but I knew there was no chance she was going to land it.

And of course I was correct. I pushed her backwards with the Force, watching as she slid across the smooth floor and into a TIE Fighter that had fallen from its suspension.

"You're not leaving, Eva," I murmured, looking down upon her.

She didn't answer me, instead stared right back.

"Why do you hide your eyes, Cal?" Eva asked out of the blue, catching me off guard.

"Too much emotion? A weakness?" She inquired.