8: The Plan

Trevor POV

Two days have passed since I've seen Saylor. I'm already thinking about the next time I'll be able to see her. Today is Monday, so we have practice. Earlier, I asked Jack if he could hang out after practice, telling him I need help with something. As we walk out of the rink, he asks me what I need help with. I look around to make sure Peter isn't nearby, because I know he protects Saylor like she's his own sister. I do not see him, so I tell Jack, "I know you and Saylor are getting pretty close-"

He cuts me off by saying, "Dude I promise I'm not trying to steal your girl. I wouldn't do that to you."

I laugh at how quickly he defends himself. "I know. That's not what I was saying," I continue, "I want to hang out with her and do something special to prove how much I like her. I want her to know I'm not like her ex and that she can trust me. I'll never hurt her."
Jack was nodding along as I was talking, taking in all the information. He seems to perk up when I mention her ex. "She told you about that asshole? Wow, Trev, maybe she really does trust you," Jack says to me.

The rest of the walk to our cars is silent, and I keep replaying what Jack just said in my head. If she trusts me with something like that, maybe I'll be able to get her to trust that I won't hurt her.

We arrive at my house and start brainstorming ideas.

"Get coffee," Jack says first.

"Too basic. Think of something amazing," I say back, desperate for Jack to come up with a good idea.

"Umm... ice cream? Stargazing? Picnic? Movies?" Jack shoots out.

"Woah woah woah. I think I can work with those," I say, starting to get some of my own ideas. I continue, saying, "Ok, so here's the plan..."

Saylor POV

After school, I decide to go to the library alone. I have a big research paper due Friday and I still haven't started. I'm so screwed. I turn my phone on Do Not Disturb before taking out my laptop and searching for different articles. I find four articles that I want to use, so I begin reading them and make an outline for my paper. After three hours of this, I have my outline complete. I put my things in my bag and leave so I can make it home for dinner.

I pull into my driveway and walk into my house. I smell sauce on the stove and assume we're having pasta for dinner. I walk past the kitchen, saying hello to my mom as I head upstairs. I put my backpack down and change into more comfortable clothes. I brush my hair and put it up in a bun before heading back downstairs. I help my mom finish dinner and set the table for her. When we begin eating, we were all participating in some small talk. After a few minutes, my younger brother, Jason, says, "Say, I saw Tom at school today and he asked me to hang out this week."

I choke on my spaghetti when my brother tells me this. Tom is my ex that sent me into that downward spiral. Once I gather myself, I ask, "Well, what'd you say?"

My brother shrugs, saying, "I told him I'd think about it."
Jason is not one of those people who will hate someone just because other people do. Usually, I think that is a good personality trait to have because he is independent. This time, however, I am furious. Tom nearly ruined my life, and Jason is my brother. Jason should take my side in this because we are family and Tom is a horrible person. Not to mention, it was extremely inappropriate for Tom to even ask Jason to hang out. That shows the lack of respect he has for me. I get up from the table and storm to my room, not even bothering to put my plate in the sink. I don't know what to do. I want to talk to someone, so I reach for my phone and hit the first contact that comes to mind.

Trevor POV
As Jack and I finish the plan, my phone starts to buzz. I look down and smile because Saylor is facetiming me. I pick up and as I'm about to say hello, I notice that her eyes are puffy and there are tears rolling down her face. I mute the mic and say to Jack, "She's crying. Do you mind giving us a minute?"
Jack looks worried, probably because Saylor is crying, and says, "Yeah man no worries. I'll see you tomorrow."
After Jack leaves, I say to Saylor, "Say, what's wrong? Are you ok?"
She doesn't say anything at first. She continues to sob and then squeaks out something about her brother and some guy named Tom. I'm really confused, so I tell her I have to go and then I hang up. I throw on a hoodie and run to my car, driving to Saylor's house as fast as I can. I run to her front door and knock. I am greeted by a middle-aged looking woman. She looks slightly confused, but I say, "Hi. I'm a friend of Saylor's. She called me crying and I just wanted to make sure she's ok."

The woman, who I assume is Saylor's mom, says, "Oh you must be Trevor. I'm Saylor's mom, Megan Mitchell. She talks about you a lot. You can go see her. Her room is up those stairs and it's the second door on the left."

I thank her and walk towards Saylor's room. Once I get to the door, I knock. The knock is more of a warning than me asking for permission because I open the door before she can answer. Saylor is curled up in a ball on her bed and looks up when I walk in. I open my mouth to speak but am cut off by Saylor running at me and hugging me. She sobs into my chest as I hug her and calm her down. I sit her down on her bed and she begins to tell me about what happened at dinner.

"I came up here and I felt like I couldn't swallow or breathe and my chest felt tight and then I started shaking and crying. Trev I was doing so good with not having panic attacks but then Jason brought Tom up at dinner and it just struck a nerve. Why is he trying to get close to my brother? All he ever does is mess with my head and that just brought back so many bad memories from when I was in a dark place," Saylor tells me shakily.

"I know, I know," I whisper, "It's alright. I'm here."

I rub small circles on her back and hold her close to me until she drifts to sleep.