VII - Walk the Maze

Amber was right. Chocolate waffles were delicious. It wasn't like they were actual chocolate, they just had a lot of chocolate chips in them. I felt... out of place at the table. Cedar and Amber kept kicking and flirting with each other, but Alpha Rose didn't seem to care. I was more concerned about the fact that I was sitting with werewolves when I was literally terrified of wolves. Which was also ironic since some sort of ancient wolf god was probably coming for me.

After breakfast, I needed some air. Just a bit of time to get my thoughts together and straight. It was cold outside, but at least it wasn't windy or snowing. I stood out on the front deck, looking into the forest that this town was practically built into.

Come on in, little one.

"Wh-who said that?" I whispered, staring into the forest.

Let us meet properly.

"I-it's you," I gasped. "The God of Ivory Tower."

Please, child, come join me. Just for a bit.

I hesitated, biting my lower lip. I looked back at the warm house, then into the forest. It was hard to resist the call. His voice had seemed so... calm. So sure of himself and of me. I slowly stepped down the path and into the dark woods.

It was dark within the thick trees, but I somehow managed to keep my feet on the barely-visible path. At least I think I did. As I walked, it got even colder, and the snow got deeper. I could practically hear the mysterious forest calling to me, hear the god whispering in my ear.

Just a bit farther now, little one.

"Wh-what do you want with me?" I whispered, shuddering.

He didn't reply.

Finally, deep into the forest and definitely off the beaten path, I found what appeared to be... an archery range. A very old archery range. The targets were made of what appeared to be old slices of trees, varying in sizes and distances. There was a line of frosty rocks and a few tree stumps a few meters away from the targets, supposedly a starting line. Resting on one of the tree stumps, there was a bow and a quiver of arrows. I knelt beside the stump and gently ran my fingers over the bow, afraid the slightest touch could shatter it.

It was made of wood, and obviously at least a few decades old, but still in amazing condition. There were intricate carvings all over it. The one that stood out the most, were the three animal heads. If I squinted a bit, I could almost make them out as a lion, a tiger, and a wolf. Lions, tigers, and wolves, oh my!

The quiver was made of leather, which had grown stiff and distressed over the years. There were a few straps attached to it, obviously to go around the torso and waist like a belt. There were... pawprints on the quiver, four of them, placed there in what must have been ink. I could tell that two of them were canine, and the other two were feline. All four prints were at least as big as my hand. I felt my chest tighten when I compared my hand to the canine prints. One of the canine prints had to belong to the God of Ivory Tower. I inwardly shivered.

I slowly and gently pulled out one arrow. It was long and thin. It wasn't made of wood. In fact, was that... bone? Were these arrows made of bone? Actual bone? How the hell was that possible? What, did they harvest the femurs of deer or something? I gently poked the tip, seeing that it was made of stone.

"How old is this thing?" I whispered.

Come in. A bit farther now.

I took a deep breath, then stood up. I followed the trail deeper into the forest. It got a bit colder, and the snow got deeper. My breath fogged in front of my face. The cold bit my cheeks and nose.

"H-how much farther?" I asked. "It's cold out here."

You'll get used to it.

"Please, what do you want with me?"

No reply.

"I am going to turn around right now if you don't tell me."

Just keep walking. You're almost here.

I hesitated, but then kept moving.

Soon, the trees began thinning out, and the snow lessened until it barely passed the soles of my boots. I finally entered an empty clearing. Empty, aside from the giant statue of two wolves. They were laying their heads on each other's haunches, eyes open and delicately carved. Frost and snow gently layered the statues.

Then a creature appeared. A grey wolf. A huge grey wolf. A huge grey wolf with bright blue eyes and a shredded left ear. He stood tall on one statue, then hopped down to the cold ground. He sat.

Welcome, little one.

I nervously took a few steps back. "Y-you're.... You're the god?"

Indeed. I need you to walk the maze.

"Maze? What maze?"

Down here.

The wolf hopped back up on the statue, then down. I ran forward and scrambled up the back of the statue. I looked down into the center of the two wolves. The grey wolf calmly waited. I took a deep breath, swallowed, then slid down into the hole. I tried to stay a certain distance away from the wolf, as he was much larger than me. When standing, the top of his head came up almost to my shoulders. I didn't know much about wolves, but I knew they weren't usually this big. I pressed myself up against the cold stone statue, trying to get as far away as I could.

I apologize, I know you are nervous around wolves. Come now.

He ducked his fluffy head and crawled into a small tunnel. After a moment, I got on all fours and followed. The small tunnel went downwards, but soon opened up into a tunnel I could actually stand in. The thing was, I couldn't see anything.

"Wh-where are you?" I whispered.

On the other side of this maze. If you are truly the one I need, then you will be able to find your way through. Do not be frightened, little one. I am with you. If you become too frightened, I will come to you.

"So, I'm supposed to just walk?" I gasped. "I-I hate mazes! I hate the dark! And I hate wolves!" I yelled it out, my voice echoing off the walls.

...I know. And I am sorry. But this must be done.

"I hate you," I mumbled. "I don't even know why you want me."

Pass this test, and I will tell you. I promise. And I keep my promises.

I sucked in a deep breath of the cold, icy air, then began walking.