Chapter 1

17 years later...

Donnie was no longer the same, innocent little turtle he had been all those years ago, in fact he had changed so much that if his family were to see him, they probably wouldn't recognize him. His appearance was what had changed the most though. His smooth, pale, olive green reptilian skin had been replaced by fur of the same color with bright, glowing, purple spots like that of a leopard's, due to Baxter immediately experimenting on him with mutagen and DNA of other species. He still had a carapace and plastron like that of a turtle, he still walked upright, he kept his gap, but he now had canines like a cat. He now sported a three pointed mohawk on his head, a cat muzzle, ears, and a huge, bushy tail. The first thing you noticed though, were his large, brightly colored wings. These wings had probably saved his life more than once. Baxter had gotten his hands on phoenix feathers and, thinking they were greater birds of paradise feathers, mixed them with Donnie's DNA as well as snow leopard. That is how  Donnie came to have phoenix wings, and his other changes. His wings were fiery colored, as was his tail.

 Donnie had been through a lot in those years, in fact, he couldn't really even remember his family, just vague snatches of memories. He now lived in a place called "The Unnaturals", where, day after day, he was exhibited for people to gawk at, and pitted against other "animals" in the ring for the viewers' pleasure. It was NOT a pleasant life. In the arena, it was killed or be killed, and so Keyac, as he was now called, had to kill day in and day out to survive. He now had scars due to his arena fights. He was missing the tip of his tail, his left ear was almost completely bitten off, and he had a long scar going down his left wing. Yet despite all this, Keyac didn't enjoy the killing, and he wasn't vicious like countless others. No, Keyac LOATHED fighting, and he hated being vicious to anyone. When he was threatened by his "masters" he cowered. Yes, Keyac was considered a coward as soon as he was out of the ring.

 To keep him in his cage, they would put a heavy, uncomfortably tight, rusted electrifying collar on his neck, that could be activated with a press of a button. His food came to him in animal size food bowls because that was what they considered him: an animal. He was forced to eat as a cat or dog was, and though they offered him fresh killed rodents he refused them, and instead ate anything that wasn't meat. The owner of this horrible place was called Oroku Saki. His manager's name was Kirby O'Neil. Now, Kirby had a daughter named April, who took no pleasure in "The Unnaturals" like they did. She fed the "animals" every Friday, and these were the days Keyac looked forward to. When she came to feed him and the others, she never brought meat for him, only what he liked, she never used the little remote that controlled his collar, and she always would crouch in front of him and speak softly to him while filling his food bowl. Sometimes, she would bring a book and read to him and the others, which they loved.

 Now, Keyac was very smart and inquisitive, and so he slowly started to learn to read and talk. He would practice while she was away, and he was alone in his cage. When he could finally speak fluently, he was proud, but he didn't start talking to any of the people except April. They would have conversations together when no one was watching. Slowly, a good, solid friendship was formed between the two. One day, when they were talking, April brought up the topic of escaping. Keyac's happy chatter died away, and he lowered his head dejectedly. "There is no way out". he mumbled. "Of course there is, there has to be!" April said desperately. "WAIT!"  shouted April. Keyac jerked his head up and gave her a look that said "Yes?"  "The key". She said excitedly. "There must be one!" Keyac brightened as he realized she was right. Then he darkened when he realized there was no way he could get it. April, seeing his look, said," I can get it" determinedly. " Worth a shot I suppose." he shrugged. So, that is how April found herself following her dad sneakily to see where he kept the keys. Keyac watched her creep away, shaking his head, saying, "I wonder how this will turn out"...   

Author's note: I know this is kinda short, but I hope you like it anyway! I will try to have the chapters out as fast as I can, but I can't have a set date, as I don't want to disappoint anyone. If you have constructive criticism, please feel free to type it in the comments! I need all the help I can get! Please tell me what you think and if you like it in the comments! TILL NEXT TIME!!!