15 - Raging Hormones

⚠️ Content Warning: This chapter has some mature content that some people may not be comfortable reading. Please proceed with caution and at your own risk.

2013

Yejin stood in front of the OB Gyne's room, reconsidering whether she really needs this check-up. She felt her subconscious pediatric doctor-to-be hit her in the head for even thinking about that.

Of course she needs this. Every pregnant woman does.

She grabbed the doorknob to turn it, but her feet were frozen on the floor. A sinking feeling weighed her body down, and she was this close to just retreating back to her apartment.

"Mrs. Son?" a voice from inside the room said, and her hold on the knob loosened as it was opened from the other side.

"Ms. Son." She corrected, and the nod from the woman, who must be the OB's assistant, told her to enter the room. She didn't mind what the woman called her and she shut her thoughts off as she entered and a bubbly OB greeted her. 

"Hi!" the doctor said in English as she looked at the door expecting for another person to enter. Realizing there was no one else, she asked, "Are you alone, mommy?"

She nodded. 

Thousands of thoughts bugged her mind. Primarily, it was that of the father of her child, who would've been ecstatic for this first maternal check-up. Instead, he was halfway across the world, completely unaware that the love of his life was moments away from hearing their own miracle's heartbeat.

Her demons attacked her again, and coupled with high levels of estrogen and progesterone in her body, she can feel the tears lingering in her eyes.

It wasn't until the bubbly doctor held her hand that she got distracted from her melancholic thoughts for a while.

Yejin just nodded and nodded, answering the doctor's questions one by one. Her body was in a hospital in Maryland, but her soul, her heart, and her mind was actually in South Korea.

In Seoul. In his apartment. By his side.

Minutes after lying in the examination bed, she heard her saving grace. The sound emitted by the machine was like a defibrillator saving her from lifelessness.

Ae-Rin's heartbeat.

She left the room that day with a renewed purpose: she'll do her best today, so they can all feel the best life years from now.

-

Dr. Son's voice reverberated in the attending's lounge where Dr. Hyun was taking a nap after a painstakingly long surgery of 7 hours.

"I'm awake!" He said, feeling a little lightheaded from sitting up too fast, but turning to her nevertheless, "I'm awake, Love. Is there anything you need?"

She smiled and said, "Come on!"

Dr. Hyun just let Dr. Son drag him outside of the room to nowhere. It was already dark outside, and there were less people in the hallway. She dragged him to the OB/GYN department of the hospital and they entered an empty room.

She immediately lied on the examination bed, and Dr. Hyun was left speechless on the door. He just stood there, with the biggest smile on his face. He stared at her, how her lips curled in its edges when she looked at him and how she squinted her eyes just a little before it turned into two small crescents.

"...why are you smiling?" she asked.

"Nothing, Love."  He said, unable to wipe the grin off his face.