3. Love Can Kill

"It's hard for me to say what needs to be said; consequence of loving me can be cruel. You're gonna suffer now whatever you do. Too much love can kill, get swallowed by the wave, no matter how you feel"

There was nothing better than celebrating a good week of work than a glass of wine, sushi and a horror movie. Strange combination but it was my favorite. It was my night off at work and I had wanted to make that plan for a long time but I could not for obvious reasons. When I wasn't working, I was taking care of the apartment or training in the gym.

I had been living in Vegas for a month and hardly knew the city and the places I knew were because of work. I didn't have much of a social life but that hadn't stopped me from going places alone. Sometimes I almost preferred it, even though there were other times when I preferred company.

I sat on the couch, covered myself with a blanket and hit the play. As soon as I did it, like Murphy's Law, the phone rang. My intention was to ignore the call, ¿but who was going to call me at this time? Let me answer that; my supervisor.

-¿Grissom? –I answered the call.

-¡Laura! ¿Are you at home?

-Yeah, I am.. ¿Why?

-Look I know that it's your night off and your contract says that you can't work more than 40 hours a week but we really need some help here, I was wondering if you could..

-I'll be there –I cut him off before he could finish the question- Just text me the address.

I jumped off the couch, left the sushi in the fridge and got dressed to head to the crime scene. It was the sixth night in a row I'd be working but I needed the real CSI experience; working a lot of hours and pulling double shifts.

***

I parked the car next to the police tape and when I crossed it, I saw Grissom waiting for me at the entrance of the mansion. As I walked towards him, I observed the atmosphere of a high class party. Expensive dresses and expensive suits and among them, Jim Brass stood out, questioning some attendees. We nod and then I got to Grissom.

-¡Hey! ¡Thanks for coming! –he greeted- This house belongs to Portia Richmond, a legendary showgirl back in the day.

-¿Is she the victim? –I asked.

-No, it's an unidentified woman. She was found in the pool –he explained- This is a big house so divide and conquer. Nick is doing the sketch of the house, you'll be in the pool with Catherine and Warrick.

It wasn't hard for me to find the pool as it was as big as the garden. Catherine was looking for evidence in the grass and Warrick was swimming in the pool. I couldn't help but laugh at him. It was my way of saying Hello.

-¡Marco! –I screamed.

-Polo –Warrick answered sticking his head out from under water.

-I thought you weren't working tonight –Catherine she said as she approached.

-I wasn't, actually I had plans but Grissom said you have a lot of work so I don't mind –I answered as I put on some gloves, then I saw Warrick getting out of the pool with something in his hand- ¿Can I get you a towel, sir?