|||

When Mingi showed him the brown-haired mermaid's body in the underground cave after presenting him the pendant, Hongjoong was confused. He had no idea where he found the octagon black stone pendant. He said the mermaid was holding it but how he found her in the first place is mind-blowing to Hongjoong. It's been a month since they found land and he had thought it would be safe to go exploring since it looked, inhabitant.

But there he was in a dark underground cave with Mingi and a dead mermaid's body. He had no doubt that this mythical creature was once beautiful. Not that now she wasn't. Her short brown hair looked smooth but aged, the brown fins covering her body were withered, having lost their beauty. The smaller fins that decorated her body are wrinkled and had a dusty color. Hongjoong felt sad for this creature.

He was afraid at first that Mingi had done something to the mermaid but he kept promising him that he just found her like this, and Hongjoong believed him. No matter how odd Mingi can get about his discoveries he could never hurt someone for his own benefit. That's why he had chosen him first to board the ship and be his second in command. He never felt wrong about his decisions no matter how Mingi pushed him sometimes but this time he was seriously considering it.

Not only did he wanted to take on board the pendant without anyone knowing, he even wanted to study it and try to find what abilities it possesses. It could be the best thing they ever discovered if it's magical or one more accessory in their collection if it's not. Still what bothered Hongjoong is what if it was indeed magical? Would its power be helpful or destroy them completely? That's why he placed the voting thing in the first place. So everyone knows what they signed up for.

So it's only natural he scolded Mingi about it. When Mingi protested back they almost fought but then Hongjoong remembered why he had chosen him in the first place and he accepted. Now as he looks at San's and Jongho's injuries he feels guilt. His own injury doesn't help him have a clear mind but he still tells them everything. Well maybe not everything. He doesn't have enough strength for that. He feels way too dizzy and he is afraid that it's not gonna stop anytime soon. Not while his leg keeps bleeding.

He supposes that he must feel lucky for having his leg almost pierced by one of the floorboards when the ship started turning and breaking suddenly, only for it to get free when the ship rocked again. Next thing he knows he was in the water, trying to swim through the debris and to any nearby land he could find. He wasn't ready to become anyone's meal you see. Not when he couldn't fight back. Once on shore he was lost. He and Yunho didn't spot any islands so close when they looked at the map yesterday. So that means this island is off the records. Hopefully not for a bad reason. He prays that it was just that someone was lazy enough to add it and not because dangerous creatures or artifacts existed. Hongjoong has a feeling he is gonna find that out soon.

That's why he was glad to know at least two of his members are okay. He faintly recalls seeing Wooyoung jumping in the water before the ship got completely destroyed from the mermaid's powers, so he prays he also swum safely on land. He didn't see Yunho or Yeosang at all but what worries him more is Mingi's and Seonghwa's safety. He didn't want to believe what both San and Jongho told him. Sure it was Mingi's first encounter with a mermaid along with Yunho and San. The rest had some small encounters before but nothing too crazy.

Mingi didn't look angry at Seonghwa when he found out what was going on. Not even when he threatened to reveal everything he saw and heard to the rest. Hongjoong told him to get a small boat and leave if he did that, resulting in this morning's argument. Now he feels stupid and he knows that he should've had sided with Seonghwa. Especially when Mingi told him that he would stay on deck since the pendant was responding when the mermaids were near. He hoped to talk to one so he could figure out what he had in his hands. Obviously Hongjoong refused and that decision now has him losing his consciousness as San is trying his best to stop the bleeding on his leg.

When he finally wakes up again it's night. He feels warmth coming from his right side and he turns his head to the side, spotting a fire going on and a tired Yeosang trying to warm his hands. Hongjoong blinks a couple of times making sure he is not hallucinating.

"Yeosang?" He asks groggily and Yeosang's eyes widen as they land on him. The healer quickly gets up and comes up to him, placing a hand on his forehead.

"Hopefully your leg won't get infected seeing as you don't have a fever yet. It was a really close call Hongjoong. If Jongho hadn't found me when he did... Well, let's say that both of us wouldn't be safe." He sighs and Hongjoong is afraid that something is going on. He knows that they will have to talk once he rests more as he feels his eyelids trying to close.

"How?" He finally gets out, after trying to fight against the exhaustion his body feels. Yeosang seems to get what he is asking exactly and he smiles.

"I always carry with me, needles and thread. It's for precaution since I had some unfortunate incidents in the past that needed stitches. Now don't worry and sleep. San and Jongho went to gather some more wood and they will back soon. We are safe for now." The calmness and security in his voice is enough to make Hongjoong stop resisting the darkness that engulfs him in seconds.