Drama of a lifetime

Harry's POV

I saw Justin leap at Jake and throwing punches left, right and center. He was good, but Jake was better. I stood there in shock not knowing what to do when I saw Justin fall to the floor in defeat.

"You..." I started before I tackled a surprised Jake to the ground. I guess he didn't see THAT coming.

The man fell to the floor with an umph and the fighting seemed almost too easy. He was feebly blocking my punches and kicks while with Justin he was giving all he had. Hm...

Before I had time to react, Jake had punched me in the face. Ow.

I crumpled to the floor in a heap but managed to stay conscious. I saw Kate jump to my rescue. She was shouting and screaming and god knows what.

I slowly got up and carried an unconscious Justin to his room where I lay him down on the bed before sitting down on it's edge staring into space. I could still hear Kate and Jake shouting at each other.

"I TOLD YOU NOT TO HURT HIM!"

"YEAH? WELL HE WAS THE ONE THAT TACKLED ME!"

"EITHER WAY, YOU DON'T JUST DO THAT!"

"WELL WHAT WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO?!"

"WHY ARE YOU SETTING ALL THOSE RULES THEN?!"

"BECAUSE YOU TOLD ME TO!"

"EXCUSE ME?! I DID NOT!"

"YES YOU DID KATE OR HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN?"

"THAT WAS AGES AGO"

"SO YOU HAVE."

There was a silence before I heard someone stomping up the stairs and a door slam.

I was sitting there daydreaming for a while before I heard the door open and close softly and small footsteps padding towards me.

"Harry?" a small voice called.

"Yes Gretel?" I answered back to the small child.

"What happened downstairs?" her voice sounded so small.

I sighed. "Nothing, nothing happened. It was just a small misunderstanding"

"Daddy hit Justin didn't he?"

I didn't know what to say to that. There was just no explanation that I could think of. But what would Gretel do? She couldn't exactly hate her dad just for that, could she? If she loved Justin so much... maybe yes.

"Yes. Yes he did." I decided to just tell her the truth. She deserved that much.

"Why did he?" her voice sounded so innocent.

"Erm. I don't know" I said not wanting to tell a small kid of 6.

"You do know" her tone was now demanding and sounded more mature.

I paused not knowing what to say.

"Harry. You can tell me. I know that daddy is a bad person" she sniffed.

"Aww. Gretel don't cry. Your daddy is just trying to protect you and the people around him." I said trying to stop her tears.

"No he isn't. You're just saying that to make me feel better"

Wow. That kid is clever for her age. When I was 6, I was still in the 'trying-on-mum's-bra' bit of my life.

I paused again and closed my eyes sighing. What to tell a kid aged 6 that her daddy was a bad influence and not good in her life?