[37] The End | The Phantom III | Tease

"Dude, where is he!?" Kiara exclaimed, running a worried hand through her curls. I shrugged as I helped JJ pull a tarp off the window of the boat. It worked against us, but between the two of us, we were able to get it off.

"Give him a second," Pope told her as he placed the box of food in the boat for John B. Pope was oddly calm about John B being late, which was weird, especially since he's usually the one on edge– well, if you're not including me. "He'll be here."

"He's coming. He'll be fine," JJ reassured her, his voice full of confidence. I couldn't say the same though. I was quite skeptical. This was a bad time for John B to be late. Like, a really bad time.

I cursed as a cop car pulled up, the sirens blaring as it slowed to a stop. "Start the boat," I told JJ as I went to go untie the knot keeping it close to the dock, my heart jumping into my throat as I fumbled with the rope.

"Hey, yeah. Get back on the boat!" JJ yelled to Pope and Kie. As Kiara went to go untie the other knot, she slowed, which grabbed my attention since I was about to snap at her to hurry up. But, as I lifted my own gaze to see what she was looking at, my eyes landed on John B.

"Wait," JJ stopped, slowing his movements, his face spreading into a disbelieving grin. "No way."

"No effing way."

"I'm sorry. But what?"

"You gotta be kidding me," JJ muttered before hopping out of the cockpit, but I stayed, leaning against the side as I watched John B saunter over. I had to admit I was impressed, not everyone can steal a cop car like that. In fact, I knew I could never.

"Shoupe let me take it for a spin," John B explained as we laughed, completely lost on how John B actually acquired a police car.

"Okay. That's believable. I'll buy it for now," Kiara laughed, pulling John B in for a hug.

"It wasn't easy, bro, but I got the Phantom for ya, and she runs like she was made yesterday," JJ bragged, tossing the keys at John B. Our fugitive friend caught the keys with ease.

John B's face turned sour with confusion as he looked around the boat, his eyes searching for something that wasn't there. "Where's Sarah?"

"Sarah's suppose to be here?" I asked, indirectly telling John B she wasn't around.

"She said she'd meet me here," John B whispered, disappointment in his voice as he looked around again, hoping this was a sick goodbye joke.

"No, we haven't seen her, man," Pope said sadly, officially breaking the news.

"Okay, well I'm not leaving without her."

"John B, look at me," JJ said sternly, grabbing John B's shoulders. JJ's stare was intense, pinning John B on the spot. "I know you feel bad for leaving, but there's no time, man. You've got plenty of gas, plenty of food. Once you get around that point, it's a straight shot across the sound to Dismal Swamp, okay? Once you get there, lay low, alright? Hang out for a couple of weeks and then go overland, cross the boarder at Brownsville, you got that?"

JJ spoke, but John B was barely listening. I could tell by the look in his eyes he was hoping Sarah would come out of the woods at any moment and run into his arms. My heart clenched at that. Some loves are meant to be tragedies, and I guess Sarah and John B fall under that category.