The Birthday Present

*TRIGGER WARNING*

I specifically remember my 15th birthday.

My friend got me a beautiful cat bowl that had four little paws on the bottom of it that stuck out of the bottom of the bowl.

This created 4 dents in the bowl.

The first thing I thought when I saw it was 'thank god, I can avoid at least 5 calories if I make sure I leave food in there.'

I hate myself for that.

The first fucking thing to cross my mind when my friend gave me a present was avoiding eating.

I remember the joy that passes through my mind.

I fucking hate myself.

How could I do that?

How could eating less be the first thing I think of in a time like that?

She had just given me my fucking present!

I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive myself for thinking that when my friend has gone to the effort of choosing me a beautiful present.

I'm so, so, so sorry Isabel. I've never told you that that was what I was thinking, but if for some reason you are reading this (if you've found my account) then just know I'm sorry. I wish I could make it up to you.

That birthday was pretty bad.

My parents spent so long making a cake and I didn't feel like I could throw my bits away.

So I ate it.

I really regret eating that cake.

I still do now, even though that sounds stupid.