Chapter 26 - Meetings

Brendan stood arms crossed opposite Rai at the laundry business owned by Kim. “So what the fuck happened then?”

“Brendan…I have three shot up SUV’s and twelve missing bodies,” Rai said, without a hint of anger, “You still have your money and we don’t have our product.”

“Call Thomas,” Brendan said.

“I’ve tried,” Rai took out a prepaid cellphone and speed dialed a contact saved only as the number 3 and pressed speaker phone. The message was that the phone was no longer in service. He pressed end and put the prepaid back in his pocket.

“Fucking Salks,” Brendan said, angrily.

“I know. I’ll handle it,” Rai said.

“How?” Brendan asked.

“It’s better you don’t know. No one steals from me…and gets away with it, I can assure you.” 

“It still doesn’t make sense for him to do it. He would have made more money in the long run just running protection,” Brendan said, confused.

“Maybe, but he also runs the risk of indictment each time, and he’s smart so I’m guessing he wants out of the game for good,” Rai said. 

“And now the real police will be all over those twelve missing guys,” Brendan said, still tense.

“Unlikely, they were all living here illegally, I wouldn’t use my permanent residents for those kinds of jobs,” Rai said, as he took a glass off fresh juice off one of his bodyguards; the other two waited by the door nearby. 

“Chuck’s furious he said to tell you anything you need just let me or Charlie know,” Brendan offered. 

“I’ll keep that in mind. So are you ready for our meeting with the Giuseppe’s today?” Rai asked.

“Of course. How the fuck can you keep a cool mind after what happened?”

“I’m disappointed of course, but I can’t show anger or else certain people will know something is wrong and then they will suspect something. It also helps that justice will be served out accordingly,” Rai said, calmly.

Brendan worried a little as the shopkeeper entered through a back door. He impulsively moved his hand toward his gun under his jacket but withdrew when the old man picked up a fresh basket of linen. He came not knowing if he was about to be whacked and did his best to act shocked and angry – even though he really was he still needed to enforce that so Rai had no suspicions; they had been together and hour already and he was still alive. He had a few members of his crew on standby; if he just dialed one of their numbers they would rush to his aid or vengeance. While he was away Michael was temporary handling protection at the warehouse along with Charlie, and added a few more recruits to buff up security.

The monstrous Fin greeted them; followed by Kim and two of the other bosses. “We all ready?” Kim asked, looking at Rai.

“Let’s go,” Rai pointed at his bodyguards to ready the car.

Brendan watched in surprise as Fin pulled out a set of keys to a small beat down car on the side of the road. Kim showed nothing flash from what he could see, he wore no jewelry, nice clothes, or car; Rai on the other hand had three bodyguards, a nice car, and wore fine suits.

“Think they’ll buy that I’m your security advisor?” Brendan asked. 

“I honestly don’t know. I’m sure they would recognize a lieutenant such as your self pretty quickly.”

“They know me, but I mean they need to think I jumped ship.”

Rai put his head back on the comfortable headrest in the back seat of the four-wheel drive. “We’ll do our best. It wont be their priority today anyway.”