⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ii. pain.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

━━━

The hallways were empty, and Dolly was pretty sure she was already sick of trying to be normal.

In the year she was kept at the hospital, she'd somehow forgotten how to work a locker, and hers would not open for the life of her. She couldn't risk hitting it because her bones were so fragile she feared they would break, and she didn't want to go ask for help because she'd had enough of depending on others for a lifetime.

"Stupid ─ fucking ─ thing!" She cursed it out, using her feet for leverage as she tugged at it some more.

"What has the poor locker done to you?"

She turned in panic, her eyes blowing twice the size they normally were. Her heart jerked in her chest, and she swallowed a wince as she lowered her hands and feet.

The girl was perhaps three heads taller than her, with glowing sun-kissed skin and black hair that reflected almost blue under the superficial lights of the building they stood in. She had almond shaped eyes ─ so dark that it looked crazy similar to a storm in the middle of the sea ─ and round, upturned lips that showed every hint of amusement her tone had.

"It─" She hesitated on her words, wondering if she would find her voice weird. She'd screamed so much the night she had died that she had permanently ruined her vocal chords, and still to this day could not ever be loud or scream. Slowly, she cupped her throat to warm it. "It wont open." She said simply. Quietly.

"Right," The girl kept smiling, or more so grinning, no hints of judgement on that pretty face. She extended a hand, and Dolly moved out of the way instinctively. "May I?"

The blonde nodded as she wrung her hands together, watching the girl approach some more, press onto the left side of the metal door and give it a final, forceful push.

It clicked open just like that, and Dolly couldn't help the choked surprised sound that escaped her.

"How-"

"The left side. You just have to press on it a little, and it will give in."

"Oh."

Silence stretched between them.

"I'm Leslie, by the way, and you're welcome."