⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ix. choice.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

━━━

"You have to be kidding," Edward mumbled, watching as Leslie and Tevy walked into the diner.

Dollyana, thankfully, had excused herself to go to the bathroom a few moments before and wouldn't be there to witness the hostility between the group of mismatched creatures.

"Cullen!" Tevy greeted, as pure and easy-going as she always was. "Wouldn't happen to have seen my protégé now would you?"

Edward leaned back in his seat, arms crossing on his chest to communicate he wanted very little to do with Tevy and Leslie.

"You know she's here."

"Just testing your virtues," She winked at him as she slid down into the booth, tugging Leslie along with her by their interlocked hands. "Speaking of which, how have you been dealing with-"

"What do you want, Tevy?" Edward asked coldly to cut her off, his face shut out from any emotions.

She pouted at him, sighing through her nose as she leaned her chubby cheek against her palm.

"Listen, Cullen, we know she's your mate, but she's also one of our own." Tevy explained kindly, her voice like rose petals against the wind.

"Not yet." Edward hissed between his teeth. "She still gets to choose."

"Choose between what?" Leslie finally butt into the conversation, her own voice much rougher, though more mellow then what he'd heard it be before. "A soulless eternity and a chance to finally find reprieve? Trust me, Cullen, she's had enough of life."

"You don't know anything about her." The man argued, refusing to believe them, to let them infiltrate his own mind with claims of things they knew nothing about.

"Whatever you say." She scoffed, obviously not believing a word from him.

Tevy laid a motherly hand on Leslie's, and shook her head as if to say that Edward was not worth arguing with.

"I understand now," Tevy mumbled, then blinked emptily at the table as if she'd lost herself in her train of thoughts and was trying to reel herself back in. Then, she cleared her throat and rose back up from her seat. "Bring her back, Cullen, or They will make sure she does."

"Don't threaten me, Tevy." Edward warned, violence flashing in his eyes.

"It is not a threat." She smiled, and nothing but true kindness was behind it. "Merely a promise."

And then both her and Leslie were walking out, leaving Edward seathing in his seat. It made him angry that this girl --- not just Tevy, actually, but also Leslie --- was so good, so kind. That Edward would never be like them and would one day damn his own mate.

Tevy, if Edward was a better man, would be Dolly's way out. And the only option there could ever be.

But Edward was long cursed to have a heart of stone, and there were no rules he would not cross to get to her. Even if it meant putting the whole world's back to him.