⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀vii. diamond.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
━━━

"I don't like being touched." Dolly murmured as Edward finally let her down on the counter to her bedroom's adjacent bathroom. He looked at her from under his lashes, searching her face for hurt or pain or discomfort. But Dolly was still in a daze--- still stuck in a world that was not true. "But uhm, it's ah.." she frowned at herself, but only one eyebrow followed.

Edward's hands twitched with the need to curse his thumb over the frozen cartilage up there, to see if it felt as horrible as the grief inside him when he touched her and felt something other than what humans were supposed to be made of.

"I apologize." Edward still whispered, moving towards the shower to get the water running.

"It's a strange dislike. Because, well, I crave it so much that I hate it."

He listened as he turned the faucets to warm and cold water, testing it with his palm though he could barely feel the true effects of it.

"You know he didn't really hold me when.." Her lips quivered. Her eyes followed the crook of the door's handle. "Well, the ocean touched me more. It held me so very tight and I think the love broke me. I think that's why I hate being touched. I'm afraid I will break if someone holds me too close."

He walked back towards her, using every bone in his body to refrain from kneeling and telling her just how badly she deserved to be held no matter what, how strong she was or how if he were to have his hands on her she would never worry about breaking--- but that was a lie.

Edward knew it. He might not be the most dangerous vampire in town, but he was one nonetheless.

"Will you test the water?"

She shook her head.

"You need to get cleaned."

She shook her head again. And well, Edward also could not force her. But the blood would alarm her parents, and then there would be much more to explain then why a boy was in their daughter's room.

"I don't wanna. The guards--- they always stare. They always watch. I don't wanna. Please," She stammered through her words, wriggling on top of the sink like she wanted to run away.

"I'll make sure they don't, okay? I'll stand right outside the room, keep watch so no one comes in."

She worried her lip between her teeth, eyes watering a little bit.

"Come on, little birdie," he whispered, leaning down so they were eye to eye. He would not dare touch her right now. What she needed wasn't to be tugged at by force, but to be coaxed softly, gently. "I pinky promise, yeah?"

"Pinky.." Her lips wobbled. "Pinky promise?"

"Yeah. See?" He held his pinky out, like Alice had taught him, and showed it to her. "You can interlock our fingers to swear it in."

She raised her hands, scarily shaky, and looped her pinky with his.

He gave some pressure, and then let go.