⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀iv. the meadow.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

━━━

At home, the fussing got worse. Mainly by her mother, who, even while being nine months pregnant and ready to burst, made sure to take care of Dolly until the girl was sick with how full of food she was and how good the candles smelled around her.

It was no surprise that Dolly climbed out of her window when night came and her mother had been done tucking her in to escape the smell and the fussing.

The girl found a bridge near her house, in the light forest behind her too big home, and sat there for a moment to watch as water dripped from one point to another.

She leaned against the rotted wood of the small bridge, letting the gentle sound of water running lull her into peace again. Then, she cried.

She didn't cry for herself, but for her family. She'd never cried for herself since the day she had died, but had always done it for her family. Her mother was pregnant, her father so busy with work- they didn't have time for her problems. And her brother. God, she hoped he was alright in this.

A small wind began blowing through the trees, and the girl wrapped herself with her arms. The silk night dress she was wearing protected close to nothing, but Dolly liked that the wind wasn't cold. It was mellow and warm and humid.

Not like death, that was so cold and glacial that it was stifling. Burning.

Her therapist back at the ward had always told her to try to expose herself to it, to the cold, so that one day she might hold an ice cream and not cry, or be outside during winter and not completely shut down, but she'd never been brave enough for it.

No--- that wasn't right. It was not that she wasn't brave enough. It was mainly because she didn't believe she'd even live to see the day she could hold an ice cream cone again.

Just when her crying slowed, Dolly was about to up and leave when a voice startled her out of her grief.

"Dollyana?"

She turned, curly blonde hair bouncing away from her face as she did so. "Edward." She called back mutely, mildly surprised to see him here. "What- what are you doing out here?"

He cocked his head at her comically. "What are you doing out here so late?"

She sighed. Good point. Rubbing her face to erase any leftover traces of her tears, Dolly took in a deep breath that hurt inside.

"My parents were being too much." She replied, not caring if he knew. He'd seen her in her worst state ealier, a slurry mess of words she couldnt control, and there was no going back from that.

"Ah." He nodded, and carefully stepped towards her, at the ledge. "You weren't going to jump, were you?" His voice was coated with humour, but.. something was hidden beneath that. Concern, perhaps. Or pity. She didn't know.