Chapter 10

I step out of my car, not ready or at all prepared for today's day at work.

I was supposed to have another checkup with my 'special' client today, and I'm just not in the mood for his flirty antics that will piss me off one way or another.

I practically stomp into the building, making my way to my office.

"Milo, your client is already here. They're in your office." The receptionist looks up as she sees me, and I nod.

"Thanks for letting me know." She gives me a soft smile and looks back down to her work computer and I walk into my office, the door already open.

I bite back an insult to Brennan as I see him leaning back in a chair, one of my photos that previously rested on my desk now in his hands. Instead I say nothing, and I shut the door behind me. I walked over to my side of my desk, placed down my briefcase I held over my shoulder, and sat down.

"Did you go over the files on the email I sent you? Those are some good apartments for some good prices. Some are even willing to negotiate." I ask, not bothering to look over to my client as I begin to login to my work computer.

When he says nothing is when I finally look over to him, and hes still staring at a picture. I can tell by the frame that it's the most recent one of Zoe, Kimmy and I.

I lean back, crossing my arms over my chest, examining him and waiting for him to snap back into reality. I also try to push down my panic, because he was actually getting a good look at Zoe for once. It's clear as day that she's also his daughter as well.

After another minute, he looks up from the frame and meets my eyes. A look of anger, sadness, and confusion crossed his face all at once. He flashes the photo to me, still in his hands.

"I believe you said her name was Zoe right? The other day at the library?" he asks me quietly. I was surprised, because I honestly expected him to yell senselessly at me.

I nod, my throat suddenly dry. I knew where this was going to go. I played this scenario in my head thousands of times since she was born, and I guess the day was finally here.

"How old is she?" he flicks back the photo to him again.

"This is not the time and place to be discussing my personal li-" Brennan quickly interrupts.

"How old is she, Milo?" He demands, clenching his jaw.

I silently huff, knowing he wont let up on the questions about her.

"Two. Almost three." I say, my voice barely above a whisper. But I know he had heard me clear as day.

He's silent for another minute or so, filling the air with thick and awkward tension. He's clearly thinking long and hard about what he's going to say next.

"That night, I began thinking about the little encounter at the library. It also crossed my mind that you had a boyfriend who really looked nothing like your daughter. So, to me that threw me off, no offense to him or you. So I thought nothing of it until I saw this photo," He sets the picture back on my desk, facing me.

I look down at it, not meeting his eyes. The picture almost became taunting.

"She looks a hell of a lot like me, Milo, don't you think?" I see him tilt his head. "Not to mention she's around the age of the night at that party." He leans forward, his green eyes boring into me.

Then he asks the question I've been dreading to hear for the past three years.

"Is she mine?"

Now I can go about this two ways. Deny and say she's just from a one night stand, which technically i'm not wrong about, or be honest with him, and fight for custody.

"Milo, is Zoe mine?" Brennan demands, clearly impatient with me being hesitant.

"Yes." Is all I manage to say, and his face pales, so white like he's seen a ghost.

I finally mustered up the small amount of courage I had and looked at him. He seemed conflicted, whether to be enraged, upset, happy, i'm not sure, but it worried me?

Why did it worry me?

"I want to meet her properly this time." Brennan declares, and it feels like all the air has been sucked out of my lungs by a giant vacuum.

"No." I narrow my eyes and shake my head.

"Why not? You already kept me from her for years, Milo." He grips the arms of the chairs, knuckles going white.

"Why did you think I kept her from you, Brennan? You made my life hell back in high school, and then knocked me up, and you were drunk during that experience. Besides, you moved away just barely before I found out." I snap at him, then take a few deep breaths, trying to calm down.

Brennan stays silent, waiting for me to continue. But I don't miss that look of guilt and shame he had.

"It's also up to Zoe to decide whether she wants to meet you or not."

"Up to Zoe? She's almost three for god's sake, she wont understand what exactly you're asking of her." He raises his voice.

"Do you want a shot at meeting her, or not?" I threaten, and he sits still, fuming.

"Fine. Can we exchange numbers? Since this is personal, and it's a better way to contact me?" He asks once he calmed down a tad.

I nod reluctantly, actually agreeing with him on this. I take out my phone, and hand it over to him. He types in his contact information and I shoot him a message that says my name so he can put in my contact later.

"I'll ask Zoe tonight and let you know what she says, alright?" I raise an eyebrow, and he nods.

"I'm going to leave. I can't talk about stupid apartments at the moment." Brennan stands up, and I do the same. He looks like he's fighting back tears, but looks frustrated and angry at the same time. He leaves the room without sparing me a glance.

I follow him out, stopping at my office door. I watch as he leaves the building.

I feel panic rush through me once I don't see him anymore. Shit.

"Milo?" I look over to Kimmy, who's handing the receptionist a few papers and looking at me worriedly.

"I'll explain later." I say, and turn around and shut my office door before she can argue, and before she can see me have a silent meltdown.

———

(Question-

Team Brennan?

Team Nelson?

That's all!)