Chapter 30

After a long while of being stuck in a dream of absolutely nothing, I began to regain my consciousness as I felt my body on a soft bed.

I open my eyes, sighing at the feeling of them being relieved of no more severe heaviness.

Slowly peering around the room, I notice it's daytime, and I see Kimmy on her phone, Zoe on her lap as they watched something.

I give a content smile, as I always loved to see the sight of Kimmy and Zoe doing things together.

Wait. Where am I? And why am I just now asking myself this?

I attempt to sit up, groaning as my head immediately throbs.

I hear Kimmy gasp, and soon enough she's by my side, pushing me back down into my pillows.

"Nope. Don't you dare think about getting up Milo." She says bluntly, almost as if she's upset with me.

"Where am I?" I ask, my throat feeling rough and dry.

"The hospital." Kimmy responds, lifting Zoe onto my lap.

She immediately rests her head on my chest, giving me the biggest and tightest hug her toddler body could muster.

I wrap my arms around Zoe, relieved that she's safe and okay.

"Hey Zoe-Bear, are you okay?" I kiss the top of her head, and she nods.

"You sleep for a long time." She lifts her head up, so I'm looking into her green eyes.

I give her a nod, although it was full of confusion.

"How long have I been out?" I ask, looking to my best friend.

"About two days now?" She looks at her phone screen, checking the date just to make sure.

I just nod, not saying anything.

"I'm glad you're awake, but how stupid are you Milo? Why weren't you letting yourself sleep?!"

Ah, there we go. That's why she's upset.

I shrug, not really feeling open to give her the answer, because the more I think about it with a now rested mind, the more I realize how stupid I was to let myself get that bad.

"I was worried sick. Brennan ran into my office saying you passed out, and I drove with him here to get you admitted," Kimmy explains. "He refused to leave your side you know? But he's now working his shift."

I just sigh and she narrows her eyes at me, now knowing something was up between Brennan and I.

"I don't want to get much into it, but he did a pretty shitty thing." To me. But I refused to add on the last two words, because Kimmy was just starting to warm up to Brennan, and I honestly really do not want to ruin the progress made between the two.

"I'm hungry." Zoe jumps in.

"Want to go get some food?" Kimmy asks her, and Zoe nods, climbing off my lap.

"I'll go get the doctor to check up on you. I'll be back with food."

I nod and thank her for going to get Zoe something to eat before they walk out of the room.

A minute passes, and that's when a man in a scrubs and a white coat walks into my room, shutting the door behind him.

"Hello, I'm Doctor Blake. How are you feeling?" He asks me, reaching out his hand in a friendly manner.

I take it, and we formally shake hands.

"Alright. Still tired somehow." I tell him honestly, and Blake just nods, jotting it down in the electronic he had in his other hand.

"That's perfectly normal. You deprived yourself of sleep for a long time, which is fairly unhealthy." Blake tells me, and I rub the back of my neck bashfully.

"Anyways, I'm just here to check with you and your sleeping patterns. Was this caused by insomnia, depression, anything related to the sorts?"

I shake my head. "No, I sleep normally. I just...did this to myself."

Blake looks at me, concerned. "Personal reasons I'm assuming?"

"More or less."

"Is this because you were stressed when you found out about your pregnancy?"

I choke on my own spit, coughing up a lung.

He narrows his eyes slightly, and I pat my chest, calming down.

"I'm not pregnant." I laugh, responding to the Doctor.

But he doesn't laugh. In fact he doesn't look amused at all. That quickly shuts me up.

"Were you not aware that you are pregnant when you sleep deprived yourself?" He sits down on a stool, and fully turns to me.

"Not until now. I'm pregnant?" I blink, and I'm sure I looked clueless. And it was because I was clueless.

Blake just nods. "Around two to three weeks along."

Shit. Date night. I didn't take a morning after pill.

I just nod, remaining silent. I wasn't sure what to say.

Blake continues to ask me and prescribe me medications and prenatal vitamins for when I check out later today, and then leaves me alone, not before congratulating me on my pregnancy.

My mind suddenly became a whirl. A mess. A hurricane?

I groan, putting my head in my hands. How could I be so stupid and irresponsible?

Never again. I'm never going to do something stupid like this ever again. Not when I have a second kid on the way.

Brennan's second kid.

That thought made me feel uneasy. If I thought I wasn't stuck with him with Zoe, well I sure was now.

I turn on the tv in the room, and try to watch whatever show was on so I could take my mind off things for a moment. This information was a lot to process.

The channel was rerunning some old criminal minds episode, so I tried to get immersed into the fake crime.

The door to my room opens, and I expect to see Kimmy and Zoe, but I frown when I see a certain Paramedic cautiously walk in.

He quickly sees that I'm awake, and I raise a brow.

"Hey..." he trails off, and I give him a small wave, not saying anything.

After all, I didn't really want to speak with him at the moment. But I can't avoid things forever so nows the time I suppose.

"How are you feeling?" Brennan asks me, careful of saying the wrong thing and in the wrong tone.

I shrug. "Could be better."

He just nods, and we fall into an awkward silence. He's messing around with his fingers, the tv still playing in the background.

And right when he was about to speak again, Kimmy and Zoe walk in. Brennan turns around and gives Kimmy a tight lipped smile.

She doesn't send a smile back. "Milo needs to be resting right now."

"Kimmy..." I try to butt in.

"You can visit him later if you'd like, but please not right now."

"Kimmy, this isn't your place to be telling Brennan what to do." I cut in again, and she sighs, nodding and backing off.

"I'll just swing by your place later I suppose." He looks down momentarily, before giving me a small wave and leaving my room.

"I don't know what is going on between you guys, but I assume you being in here is his fault?" Kimmy hands me a takeout box, and I shrug.

"Started by him, caused by me." Is all I say before digging into my food.

Kimmy just gives me a comforting smile, not saying anything.

Why did I have to wake up?

———
(I finished writing the story!! There will be a new update every day for you guys!)