Chapter 24

I sit at my desk, frowning as I look at my fingers that flip a pen over and over. The clock ticking on the wall is the only thing I hear at the moment, plus muffled voices on the other side of my office.

Eventually, I stop flipping the pen around my fingers as Kimmy stomps in, shutting the door behind her.

"Okay, you haven't been yourself for an entire week now. What the hell happened?" She crosses her arms and sits across from me. She stares at me firmly, and I know she's not going anywhere without a believable explanation.

I blink a couple of times, and her foot bounces up and down in anticipation.

"Nelson and I broke up." I blankly tell her, really no emotion enlaced in my voice at all.

Kimmy just shrugs, and I narrow my eyes.

"What?" I ask her, suspicious now.

"Saw it coming. Shock me with details." She leans forward, clearly bored as I was.

"What details are there to tell? We just broke up." I pick up the pen off my desk once again.

She rolls her eyes. "What happened after? Don't think I don't remember that Brennan stayed after Nelson and I left your place the day of Zoe's party."

I bite my bottom lip. "He just put her to bed. Now why are you interrogating me?"

Technically I wasn't lying. He did put her to bed. But I'm not just explaining what happened after that. Sometimes it's better to keep your romantic life private.

"Interrogating? Is checking up on your best friends well being now an interrogation? Spare me the details on him putting Zoe to bed, now what happened after? I know there's more to the story and you can't lie to me that easily." She leans back in her seat, fluffing up her hair like she's getting ready for an important conversation with a higher up.

I sigh. "Nothing happ-"

"Stop lying."

"I'm not ly-"

"Milo, don't you dare lie to me or else I will hit you like a bitch in the head with a bottle, sideways." She sasses, checking her nails.

I just stare at her, trying to figure out what threat she just told me. Not to mention, she did not stutter. Oh no, Kimmy never stutters.

"I'm telling the truth." I continue.

"Not all of it." She puts down her hand, looking at me dead in the eye.

I inwardly groan. "Fine. Things happened and he asked me on a date. I said no and one thing lead to another, and he's saying I don't want to try at a relationship with him. Satisfied?" I exclaim, throwing my hands up in the air at the end.

She smirks. "Very. And what are you gonna do about it?"

I scrunch up my nose. "Nothing? This relationship is nothing but professional."

Kimmy scoffs. "You can't bullshit me but you can sure bullshit yourself. Your relationship with him is beyond past professional now. So, I'm asking again. What are you gonna do about it?"

I look down at the pen in my hand. I hate to admit, but she's right. "What is there to do about it?"

"Uh, I don't know, confront him? Go out with him if you really want? Talk it out and stop being a child. I swear, sometimes Zoe is more mature than you." Kimmy says with a bored tone, and my jaw drops open in shock.

"I am not acting like a two year old."

She just hums, not saying anything.

I stand up, and she watches me carefully.