Chapter 2

We've all heard of neglectful parents, or ones who don't take responsibility for their children, well, the woman who gave birth to me could have been their poster child. By all appearances her only concerns in life were drugs, alcohol, and her current man. All children have certain needs to maintain their life. They need food, a roof over their heads, medical care, and love. I and my four siblings were taken away from her, more than once. I was almost seven the last time I was taken away from her by social services. I was one who had medical needs, that was very serious. Because of her care of other things, she neglected to do my care, and because of that, I came very near to losing my life. Luckily I and my siblings were all placed with a man and his wife, who although they could temporarily care for us, did an excellent job of caring for us, even though we knew it would be very temporary.

Both of whom had jobs. Across the street from them, lived an RN, who knew how to do my medical care. Every day after school, I would be taken over to her house to have my medical need taken care of. The first time I met her, was when the man took me to her house so she could teach him the things he needed to do. As a small child, I knew that nurses gave shots. But she told me that nurses also give hugs.

At first, I was nervous because in my experience, people only hurt children. But, she showed me that not all people are that way.

Not only did she fill a need I had, but I filled a need she had. The year before, she was changing a light bulb, and stumbled and fell on the floor and broke her right leg. The accident caused her to have to quit work. She had worked for over 20 years, and now she could no longer work. She felt useless because now, to her, her life had no meaning, or purpose.

One night at church, she was sitting there, in her wheelchair and a cast on her leg, feeling useless, due to no longer being able to work because, in 2000, she fell off of a two-step ladder, changing a light bulb, and broke every bone in her right leg. The pastor handed the congregation index cards, with different topics of prayers. One was " unspoken on your heart. " She simply wrote in that section," I'm useless. " She said as soon as she wrote this, she felt God clearly speaking to her telling her that He put me in her life for a reason.