12

Della couldn't sleep. She kept waking up, thinking she heard a baby crying out or an egg hatching. She was worried the boys would hatch while she wasn't paying attention.

She couldn't take this anymore. She needed a break.

She crept out of her room and looked at the little eggs in the nursery. She walked up to the crib and held little Turbo. She could already see tiny cracks appearing on his egg. It was only a matter of time before the boys hatched.

She set Turbo down and walked out of the house. What did she see but a rocket ship. She knew it must've been for her; she had told Scrooge long ago that she was enamored by astronomy and wanted to be an astronaut when she was young.

She stepped into the rocket and put on a spacesuit. Surely a quick ride wouldn't harm anyone; it was hers, after all. She'd be back before anyone noticed.

She pressed the start button and the rocket lifted off the ground. She watched as she left Earth behind.

Unfortunately, there were problems; a cosmic storm had appeared and she was having trouble flying through it. It had occurred to her that flying a spaceship was quite different from flying a plane.

"Uncle Scrooge, can you hear me?" she yelled at the communicator.

"Dell...is...you?" he asked, his transmission breaking up.

"Uncle Scrooge, I took the rocket ship and there's this storm. I can't get through it!"

"Listen to me...I..."

Transmission was lost completely between the two of them. She was gone.

"You lost her?!" Donald yelled at Scrooge.

"It's her fault in the first place!" Scrooge yelled back, tears falling from his face. "She should've waited!"

"You had the thing built in the first place! Now the boys are orphans, because of you!"

Scrooge froze and looked at him in shock. The realization had hit him like a mallet; the boys had no parents, with Della killed in space and Emmett killed by him. The boys had no one.

Except...

"Donald, the boys have us. We can still care for them."

"You mean they have me. I'm not letting them near you again."

Donald stomped away, leaving Scrooge alone to cry.

Donald packed up his things and went to the Duckburg Pier, where he had kept a house-boat. He put away all the things and set up the furniture. He set the eggs into their crib. As he did so, one of them, the one wrapped in a red blanket began to shake. He kept an eye on it, but after 2 minutes, it stopped shaking. There were no new cracks on it. False alarm.

Donald felt like a part of him was missing, gone forever. Without Della...

He broke down crying. What was he going to do with her 3 beautiful children alone?

It was an unbearable thought that broke him: He would take care of the sweet orphaned children alone, and Della will never get to see her boys grow up.