Chapter 13

As promised, the knights were moved out of the dungeon the next morning. That was a whole ordeal.

"Wait- where are you taking us?" Gwaine shouted.

"We're moving you, under the request of Prince Arthur."

"Arthur?" Lancelot pondered, "what about Merlin?"

"He will be staying where he is."

Needless to say, an argument broke out. Merlin just sat and watched. He didn't try to butt in or ask why he wasn't going. In the end he just told the knights that he would be fine and that they had to go. The guards and knights left leaving Merlin and Morgana alone.

"Well... looks like Arthur didn't bother to save you," she remarked without her usual gloating tone. She obviously didn't enjoy the prospect of being alone either.

"As of late, I'm not entirely surprised. Edith probably wouldn't let him release me anyways."

She hummed in agreement.

"Even so, would he release you? He didn't seem in the mood to mend relationships yesterday."

"Don't toy with me Morgana. It hasn't worked in the past, and don't expect it to work now."

"It has worked in the past. A long time past."

"That was different."

"Apparently not much so. By the way, were you ever planning to tell me about your magic?"

"I wanted to," he sighed.

"Like you didn't want to poison me."

"Morgana I had no choice! If I hadn't poisoned you the kingdom would've fallen and Arthur would've been dead."

"What because I have magic?"

"Because you were a vessel for Morgouse!"

She looked at him, shocked and confused. What was he talking about? She was told that he poisoned her because of her magic and relationship with Morgouse.

"What are you saying?"

"The spell that put the whole kingdom to sleep. That spell needed a constant living presence to give the spell strength. The power needed for the spell was coming from you. She- didn't she tell you?"

"What? No... no she would've told me! That can't be right!"

A guard walked into the dungeon and went to unlock Merlin's cell.

"On your feet!" He ordered.

Merlin struggled to get up because of lack of use for his legs. But he did get up and the guard unlocked him from the wall.

"Where are you going?" Morgana shouted to the guard.

"He's been requested. But don't worry, we'll bring back your friend soon," he smirked.

She wanted to inform him that Merlin was not her friend, but the door slammed shut before she got the chance. She was left to ponder all that she just found out.

Meanwhile, the guard practically was dragging Merlin by the arm. At least he was walking this time, albeit with a good bit of trouble. Unexpectedly, they went past the throne room and made to go to the courtyard that had previously been destroyed. Merlin expected to walk in and see Edith standing there, ready to gloat. Instead he saw Arthur, sitting on a stool in the middle of the now black garden.

"Arthur."

"Merlin. You can leave now," he directed at the guard. "I would like some privacy."

"But sire, if he tries to run-"