Chapter 20

Later that afternoon, Arthur received word that Merlin was up and about, and doing much better. Arthur decided that this was as good a time as any to talk to his manservant. He went to the physicians chambers to find Gaius and Merlin sitting at the table, probably discussing the events of the past few weeks. When Merlin noticed Arthur enter, he bowed his head.

"Sire," he said quietly.

"Merlin. I need you on the training grounds. If you're able to leave I would prefer for you to come now."

"Yes, my lord," Merlin responded, still not looking Arthur in the eyes.

Arthur tried not to wince at the way Merlin addressed him. He was never formal. Regardless, Merlin got up and followed Arthur down to the training grounds. It was a long, quiet walk. The only conversation between the two was the general question of well-being. Arthur could barely stand it. They finally reach the empty training grounds and found a seat on a bench. Merlin had his hands in his lap and was looking at the ground in front of him. Arthur figured he would have to start this.

"I- I'm sorry."
Merlin simply raised his eyebrows, still not looking up.
"I'm sorry for everything that happened to you. I'm sorry for all the things that Edith put you through. Heck, I'm sorry for what I put you through. The garden, the questioning, and now... well this! I'm sorry about those wretched cuffs and this stupid key!"

Merlin finally looked up at his master.

"I'm sorry too. I'm sorry that I didn't tell you sooner, and that you had to find out like this. The burden isn't meant to be yours."

Arthur nodded, and they both went silent for a minute. Neither really knew how to follow up. Merlin had a million questions burning in his mind, but he didn't know how to ask.

"Arthur?"
Arthur looked up.
"Why am I not in the cells? Or better yet, why didn't you tell your father about me or Morgana?"

Arthur shook his head. Of course the idiot still thinks that Arthur is going to lock him up.

"Because you don't deserve to be there. For goodness sakes, you did your time! More than enough of it. Because if there's one thing I learned, it's that magic is not inherently evil. You're not evil. As far as Morgana goes, I don't know. It doesn't seem right for her to be executed by my father's hand. She has the cuffs, so right now she's harmless. Why murder my sister if I don't have to?"

"Fair point... thank you."

"Don't thank me. I don't deserve it."

"Arthur you could've killed me on the spot. By the laws of the land, you should have."

"Keep in mind we were separated by a cell when I first found out."

Merlin let out a soft chuckle, and Arthur followed suit.

"I'm serious though, thank you."
Arthur nodded, finally accepting his thanks.
"So... now what?"

"Well actually, that's what I needed your help with."

"My help?"

"Yes. To be frankly honest, I have no idea what to do. None. It doesn't seem right for me to be able to control your magic. It's not right. But, I can't free you without using magic. That means I need to find someone who can, or allow magic back in the kingdom as soon as possible."

"Wait- did you just say allow magic back in the kingdom?"

"Are you deaf as well as dumb? Yes, that's exactly what I said."

"But, you can't do that. At least not while your father is still king!"

"He won't be king forever. I just have no idea what I am to do until then."