☆ one

Maisie's hair flew behind her as she ran down the narrow hallway in her house, towards her front door

Maisie's hair flew behind her as she ran down the narrow hallway in her house, towards her front door. Her feet pounded due to the harsh action which subsequently alerted her Father, Henry to the rush.

"Maisie Lynn Edwards you best not be running in my house!" The man called out from his old and stained recliner as the girl arrived in the room before her questioning father.

The pair had lived alone since Maisie was eight. That was when her Mother separated from her Dad after an extremely messy marriage, and as a result took Maisie's two younger brothers with her, wanting nothing to do with the older child. Their whole lives they had lived in Outer Banks, surrounded by the positive yet poor community, with her Dad absolutely loving the place even though it meant working two jobs to stay alive and sheltered. Her Mother however resented the place, and always swore to get out of what she described to be a "shit-hole" if it was the last thing she would do.

Due to the different views of their home, Maisie had stuck by her father as he provided her with some form of comfort and love, something that she never quite received from her Mother and as a result managed to break up their family and separate the three children from each other.

Unfortunately, this caused a lot of mental health problems for the young girl, especially abandonment issues, but Maisie never let that get in the way of her living her life. The girl used to see a psychiatrist when she was younger but as times got tough their wasn't enough money in their home to afford it which Maisie assured her Dad that it didn't matter and she would be fine.

And in a way she was.

The girl hid all her emotions behind a façade of smiles, sarcastic comments and flirting, it all working for her so far, only faltering slightly when she would be alone in her room at night.

"I'm sorry Dad, but I'm late!" The blonde girl replied back as she scrambled to pack her bag with sunscreen, sunglasses, water and gum.

"I have work tonight so please be safe, Maisie Lynn" Henry smiled in return, seeing his daughter head for the front door but not before blowing him a quick kiss. "That hurricane was rough last night!"

"Love you, Dad!" She called out, not waiting around to hear his response as she shrugged her bag on and made a run for the dock at the end of her backyard. The warm wind blew onto her body, her denim shorts and soft yellow tank top not covering all too much.

Seeing the HMS Pogue waiting for her, Maisie let out a huff as she ran closer and closer to the dock, seeing all her friends on board. The girl puffed as she reached the end of the wooden platform looking up to see the smiling faces of her friends ready to greet her and expectantly waiting.

"Took you long enough Moo" Kie called out slightly annoyed to the now red faced girl, Maisie shaking her head at the stupid nickname.

"Yeah, yeah I fell asleep okay!" She retorted back at Kie, already hearing the quiet, amused snickering coming from Pope and John B. Seeing a tan hand come into view Maisie offered JJ a thankful smile as he pulled her onto the small boat, giving him a peck on the cheek once aboard.

"We all set?" John B interrupted from the drivers seat, as he looked at Maisie to make sure that she was settled and ready to go. With the girl giving him a quick nod and finger guns in response, he began to steer the boat away from her dock, sending it smoothly through the water.