1. Pain

The lights were flashing and momentarily lighting up the dark venue. The laser lights were bouncing off the people in wild patterns, and the disco balls were reflecting rainbow colors across the roof. The music was loud. Everywhere around him were people. It was a sea of strangers. Some were drunk, passed out around the dance floor, and others were seeking solace in the music, dancing, letting loose, leaving behind the week's frustration as they moved to the groove of the music playing.

In a quiet corner, Kongpob had found himself a place to hide and drink his pain away, trying to avoid any company. The Bacardi, the loud music, the dim interiors were his refuge, helping him forget the pain that had settled in his chest since last weekend. 

So today, when his colleagues asked him to join them in their weekly Friday ritual, he tagged along, but soon he left them and moved to his usual joint, to be by himself. He couldn't handle their joyous, relaxed mood when he felt like he was dying inside.

Most weekends, he would rush to pick Arthit from work, to spend their weekends at Arthit's flat. This week he didn't feel like it. What he witnessed had shattered him, and he had been dousing his pain in alcohol for a week now, and he managed to overdo it today. Heck, it was the weekend after all!

Despite the burning in his chest, which now had spread down to his stomach, and a nauseating headache, he continued to drink. Anything to suppress this pain that he was experiencing in his chest. Anything to fill the void he has been feeling.

::::::::::::::::::::::

"Hello! Bright!"

"Ah, P'Pod! Wadee! What's up?"

"Ai' Bright. What's the name of your friend? The fair and cute one...the one with the dimple?"

"Arthit?"

"Uh! Arthit. Is he still dating that guy?"

"Very much, P'. I don't think Kongpob will ever leave Arthit if he has any say in it... but... why do you ask, P'?"

"Are you sure he is still dating his junior?"

"I am 100% sure, P'."

"Hmmm!"

"P' Pod. Is something the matter? Do you know anything?"

"Uh... this guy Kongpob... right... has been coming every evening to the bar for the last 6-7 days and been getting piss drunk until he can't stand properly. And since I didn't see him with Arthit, I assumed there was trouble in paradise. I thought you should know. Maybe talk to his boyfriend."

"Oh! That's strange. Kongpob can't drink much. Does he have company?"

"Nope! Been sitting all by himself and getting smashed."

"Thanks for telling me, P'. I am crazy busy now but will talk to Arthit tomorrow morning."

"That's cool then. Ai Bright. The amount and the kind of booze the kid has consumed... are dangerous. You may want to talk it out with him as well. See if he needs any help of kind."

"Oh! Thanks for the warning, P'. By the way, is he still there?" Bright was worried now.

"Nah! He just staggered out of here a few minutes ago."

"Okay. Thanks, P'. I will talk to you later. Bye. Thank you for looking out for us!"

"Anytime. Bye!"

Hanging up, Bright looked at the time. 12:57 am. No way would Arthit be up if he is not with Kongpob. After sending a quick "We need to talk" message to Arthit, he got back to tending the bar.