Aoba Johsai: Shinsengumi

Author's Note: S/N - Sister's Name
—————————————————

In the twilight years of the Edo period...

I had been living peacefully in the capital with my family. Lately, the political chaos between the Tokugawa Bakufu and those from the Chōshū and Tosa clans had been getting more hectic. It became more frightening as more incidents came up. I figured things would calm down and resolve soon but, I was proven to be wrong. Very, very wrong.

One presumably quiet night, a ruckus occurred. Screams of terror and battle cries were heard. I looked up from the poem I was writing. I stood up and peaked my head through the door. I could see smoke rising up from the houses around. I had the perfect view of the street from where I stood. It soon became dyed red and bodies lay limp on the ground. My breathing came to a stop. 'The ronin hired by the Chōshū and Tosa clans' I thought. My head began to spin, my throat feeling parched, my ears ringing, trying to process what was happening.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!" My ears perked up and I instinctively went to the source of that blood curdling scream. I ran out and arrived before my mother's room door. My hands shook as I reached out. I could already see the blood soaking through the rice paper. I carefully and slowly opened it. I looked down and felt sick to my stomach. Her head rolled around, eyes lifeless. In the shadows, there was a glint from the blade used on my mother and I couldn't breathe. His smirk...was chilling. I backed up and out of the room. The man didn't move so I ran and never looked back. 'Where are Father and S/N?!'

Passing by the courtyard, I saw my father fending off a ronin. I paused, he was quite a strong samurai for his age. He would make it, right? Of course not, the ronin never play fair. One had snuck up on him and pierced their sword through him. My eyes widened in horror. I felt my muscles start to tense up. After a bit, my body finally started to move again. 'I have to find S/N! I need to know if she's safe!'

As soon as I got there, I slid the door open. My sister turned surprised. Relief washed over me but, I still felt anxious. How are we going to escape? Will we even make it out alive? "S/N take my hand and come with me" My voice spoke shakily. She knew I wasn't joking with her and accepted my hand. We ran out to the yard to find a side door or exit. Unfortunately, the ronin had made it there knowing exactly what we would do. In fear I kept my sister behind me. However, I noticed something else wrong. It was getting warmer and slightly difficult to breathe. I glanced around and confirmed my suspicions. Our house was going down in flames now.

Panic flooded me as they started howling out threats and their plans of murdering us. 'What do I do?!' I can't use a sword and either way, I'm severely outnumbered. One had taken on the pleasure of ending me and my sister, as he got the closest. He raised his sword above me and brought it down with everything he had. "Kyah!" I shrieked, but nothing happened. S/N jumped in front and took the blow. I could only stare in horror. "S/N, NO!!" I shouted as I caught her small, limp body. I lowered us down slowly to the ground. The ronin had taken this as their chance to strike me. I breathed out, at least I'll be with my family again.

Instantaneously all the ronins' bodies fell. My head slowly looked up and took on the sight. Blue robes, with white details and designs. The blood stains on their blades. The murderous look in their eyes. 'Ah, it's those rumoured, brutal and cruel warriors. What were they called again? Oh, yes the Shinsengumi. But, they're late, far too late.' My family is gone. They'd left me behind. "Y/N-nee san, I love you" I looked down at my beloved sister's wounded figure soaked in red. The last few tears gliding down before her eyes glazed over. I couldn't hold back this time. The men looked at me as I let the world know my anguish.

I finally let my sister's body lay peacefully on the ground and draped her haori over her. I couldn't stop the sobbing and shakiness of my body. The smog must've gotten stronger because I was getting dizzy and losing consciousness. Before I blacked out I heard "We need to get her out of here"

The sound of a sliding door caused me to jolt awake. I looked around and saw I was laying on a futon. My eyes reverted to the man in front of me. He had short black hair and downward-slanting eyebrows. He had a muscular build and seemed to tower over me as he walked closer. My hands trembled as they held the edge of the blanket. "You should drink this tea and eat some porridge." I cautiously eyed the tray by my side.  "It's not poisoned if that's what you're worried about" He confirmed chuckling.

My stomach growled loudly and I brought the porridge to my lap. I carefully took one spoonful and the taste was surprisingly good. I continued to down the porridge before pausing and looking at the man by the door. "Who are you? Where am I? And why am I here?" He opened his mouth to answer as the door suddenly slid open revealing two other men. The one with light brown hair waved away the guy who watched me eat.

"Excuse us for the intrusion but, time is of the essence." My brows furrowed and I could only stare at them in confusion. "I'm Oikawa Tooru commander of the Shinsengumi and this is Iwaizumi Hajime, my vice-commander" I looked over to the other man as he gave a simple nod. "Is this your base or something?" I asked. Oikawa clapped his hands together cheerfully and said "What a smart girl! This our base and you can stay here if you like because your house burnt down" My eyes widened remembering the events of the past night. "Why would I stay here?" I glared as I bared my fangs at Oikawa. "Oh? What's this? Are you forgetting there are ronin out running around and they're probably after you too, since you lived" I gulped as his voice became cold and serious. His face hardened into a blank expression. My heart began to race in fear, 'I can't let myself die with ronin after me but, I don't trust these guys either'.

"Stop scaring her, dumbass" Iwaizumi decided to speak up and smack Oikawa on the back of his head. "Ow! Iwa-chan?!" Iwaizumi ignored Oikawa and looked at me. He seemed to be staring into the depths of my  soul. "If you stay here, your safety is guaranteed. Us Shinsengumi are willing to protect you if you make yourself useful here." I looked down thinking of the possibilities and what was right. I looked back up and breathed deeply before answering "I'll stay and do my best to help you all!" Iwaizumi let a small satisfied smirk fall upon his features. Oikawa could only raise a brow before realizing that you complied to the agreement. He too, then smirked. They both looked so attractive I couldn't help the blush rushing to my face.

"Get up" I was startled by Oikawa's sudden demand but didn't resist. "Follow us" He continued before walking out of the room with Iwaizumi behind him. I rushed to follow their large strides through the house. They lead me to a room where two men sat. One was familiar from earlier. "Introduce yourselves, you two." Oikawa instructed. "I'm Hanamaki Takahiro" the one with really short pink hair said. "The name's Matsukawa Issei" The one with black hair and down-turned eyebrows said. I nodded slowly trying to memorize names and faces.

"She decide to stay with us" Iwaizumi informed them. "Really? That's good, kinda surprising though." Hanamaki stated. I nervously stood staring at the ground, not knowing what to do. "Now then, how about a warm welcome" Oikawa cheerfully suggested. The men nodded and altogether announced "Welcome to the Shinsengumi!" I looked up startled and stared at them. They all wore confident, smug looks. Again, I turned red from the rising heat. I almost passed out from how hot they were. And Iwaizumi had to hold me up.

I know I made the right decision, this is something I'll never regret.