Inarizaki: Inari Okami Part 1

Authors Note: I hope you don't mind that it's written in first person. I honestly can never choose one perspective to write in.

Y/N is the daughter of the current caretaker of Inari Okami's shrine. She is 6 in the beginning of the story.
————————————————

My papa started taking me to the shrine to get me familiarized as I would be the next caretaker. At my current height, the shrine towered over me but, I didn't feel scared. It was almost welcoming....

I'd frequently come over and stared at the fox statues. I always wondered why there were 8 of them. Papa had told me that most believed Inari Okami was 3 or 5 individual spirits. However, our ancestors who built this shrine believed there were in fact the sum of those two numbers, 8, individual spirits. "Papa, why do our ancestors think there were 8 kami that make up Inari Okami?" I tilted my head to the side. "In the books and journals we have at home, those who have met the spirits wrote about their experiences" I hummed not really understanding, or caring.

I skipped around and helped papa clean. I mean, as best a 6 year old could. I often dropped my broom and just walked around the statues. The foxes looked so pretty, even though they essentially looked the same. I eventually named them, as a child does.

It was the hundredth time I visited this shrine within a few months. I even got good at brushing the leaves and checking the condition of the shrine. I sat under a large tree as the wind blew leaves down. My impatience started to get to me as I huffed a lock of hair in my face. "Papa, I'm gonna play in the forest" He nods and tells me something but I didn't listen. I was already running into the plush vegetation. I walked down a path in the surrounding forest, and eventually strayed farther and farther away from it.

I noticed the sun coming down, but had no idea how to get back to the shrine. My mind began filling with thoughts like 'Am I gonna die?!' Or 'Papa please find me!'. I wandered around in hopes of finding the path I was once one, but to no avail. It eventually became pitch black and the forest became eerie, creepy, dangerous. I stood frozen in place as bushes rustled around me. My mind was praying, hoping for someone to save me. Whether it was a ghost, person or monster. The darkness was a mystery that scared me to no ends. As the bushes started to part, they revealed a blood thirsty leopard cat. The cat made a dash toward me and was ready to pounce. I shut my eyes in hopes of not feeling the pain, when suddenly, I heard a low, angered growl and a whimper from the leopard cat. I heard it run away and though I felt safer, I knew something else was there. I still refused to open my eyes. Until, soft fur brushed against my leg and a complimentary yip came from the animal.

As I slowly lifted my eyelids, I was met with glowing, yellow eyes. 'A fox?!' I stumbled back in surprise and landed on my bottom. I let my eyes adjust to what I was seeing with the moonlight aiding me. I saw the pure white fur with tips fading to black. However, I recognized it as a Kita Kitsune. I looked around me and saw the other 7 foxes. A Gin Kitsune, an Aka Gitsune, an Ojiro Suna Gitsune, an Oomimi Gitsune, a Chibetto Suna Gitsune and two foxes that looked identical, one with more golden fur and the other with grey fur. They surrounded me in a circle, me in the middle. I examined their ethereal beauty, fluffiness and familiar eyes. I noticed their worried and relieved expressions and smiled to reassure them.
I held back the temptation to pet their floof and cuddle them to death...

Tried

I hesitantly and carefully reached out my hand to the Kita Kitsune. It's sharp, worried eyes softened and closed as it leaned its head into the palm of my hand, eyes closing. It let out adorable sounds and the others started nudging me asking for cuddles. I couldn't help but give in. They took turns laying down for belly rubs, bowing to me for head pats and snuggling close to me.

After becoming closer with them, I asked if they could take me back to the shrine and the Kita Gitsune nodded and lead the way. The foxes kept formation, watching all sides of my small, fragile frame, to keep me safe. The moonlight guided the path and I felt relieved that these foxes were with me. We got closer as I could see the bush formation at the start of the path. Once we arrived, I sprinted and jumped into my father's arms. "Papa! I'm sorry!".
"It's fine, now that you're here Y/N." He sighed, stress lifting from his shoulders. "Papa, did you see the foxes that took me back!?" I exclaimed with sparkles in my eyes. I looked around but, they were nowhere to be found. "They were just here..." I mumbled. My father looked at me in awe. He had only heard tales from his grandfather and the legends his ancestors told him. He was sure to believe that Inari Okami truly exists. 'Inari Okami must have already accepted her as their future caretaker, huh'. "Thank you, Inari Okami, for guiding my daughter. Please continue to do so for the bright future ahead of her." He whispered while looking at each statue.

"Let's go home now Y/N, it's quite late. We can come back tomorrow." Papa spoke softly. I nodded and my eyes were closing as I fell asleep. We walked down the stairs, I was being carried by my father. On one of the last steps that made the shrine visible, I caught a glimpse of a white tail behind one of the statues. 'Thank you, Inari Okami' I thought before drifting off into the dream world.