five

Tharn observed Type. He watched as the younger boy placed his pencil up to his lips while he concentrated on the questions. He watched as the boy scrunched his eyebrows before bringing his pencil down and writing away. And he continued to watch as he let out a tiny smile when he managed to understand something from the passage he was reading.

He wasn't sure if he was imagining things, but it appeared as though Type had gotten more...delicate looking. Maybe it was his Alpha side making his protective claim on his mate. He wasn't too sure as it was something he hadn't felt before with Tar - simply because the latter had not been his true mate.

And truth be told, he enjoyed it. He enjoyed the little sparks of joy he felt whenever their gazes met. He enjoyed the way his heart would leap and he could feel the whole world spin when he could smell Type sweet scent.

A fond smile made its way onto his face and he waited patiently for the student to finish up his test. Bathing in the evening sun, in a quiet room with the only sound being pencil meeting paper, Tharn leaned against the desk and slowly closed his eyes.

His lungs burned. Despite wanting nothing more than to stop and allow himself to fall to the ground in exhaustion, he couldn't risk it. Allowing himself to be caught now would mean never seeing Techno again. It meant never achieving his goal. And it meant finally leaving the world early, or suffering for several years until his body gave out.

Turning the corner, he swore as another hunter awaited against the brick walls. He really didn't have any luck. A bullet pierced his back, just as he dodged the attempted capture of the other hunter, sending him hurling to the ground with full impact.

Pure agonizing pain rippled through his body as he coughed out blood from the amount of damages inflicted on his body.

His breath became haggard, barely there. He felt his consciousness slowly slipping, a single tear droplet escaping his eyes.

Just as he lost the last of his consciousness, he heard a faint yelling of what seemed to be his name. But perhaps it was simply him going crazy in his last moment, wanting to believe someone other than Techno cared for him enough to know his name.

~

Tharn saw red. His wolf going crazy within him, clawing at him to release it and devour the ones responsible for hurting his mate.

He had awoken from his unplanned nap, and was surprised to have found the test on the table with a small note attached to it.

'You seem tired so I'll leave the test here. Get some proper rest :),' it had said. He had chuckled softly at his kind gesture and kissed the note before noticing a phone on the ground of where Type had sat.

Concerned, he decided to find Type by following his scent, only to find droplets of blood on the grounds along the way. He knew immediately something was wrong, and made his chase to find his mate.

He prayed he wasn't too late. He prayed Type was okay. He couldn't imagine himself remaining sane were anything to happen to Type.

By the time he got close enough to the scent, all he saw were human hunters surrounding a badly wounded Type. His heart dropped at the sight.

Growling, he let his claws grow out while sending a force link to his pack members nearby before attacking the hunters. They weren't hunters for nothing as they managed to land blows onto Tharn, but he wanted nothing more than to rip them to shreds.

Thorn, Kengkla and Champ showed up not long after. Despite not knowing what was truly going on, Thorn immediately called the ambulance and tried his best to heal the smaller wounds on Type with a magical item he had on him.

Champ and Kengkla on the other hand helped Tharn capture the two hunters after knocking them out. Though it was hell trying to calm the Alpha down and prevent him from killing them.

Type groaned, opening his eyes and frowning as the tight hold on his hand. Looking over, he found Techno crying heavily, snots leaking down and all.

But the latter didn't care and remained crying the same way he had cried after he saved Type from that haunting day years ago.

He frowned and furrowed his brows, remembering what had happened before he lost his consciousness.

"'No," he called out, quietly, making the crying boy jolt in surprise. Filled with relief, Techno flung himself onto Type to hug him, making the injured one groan in pain. Tharn who had come back from buying food rushed over and quickly pulled Techno away.

"Be careful, N'Techno. He's still injured," he scolded, releasing Techno's collar once he nodded in understanding, and placing the bag of food down.

Type looked at Tharn in shock, having not expected to see the professor out of university, and in the same room as him in the hospital. He looked at bandages on Tharn's hand, and on his face, making the connection.

"Did you save me?" He asked, coughing slightly at how dry his throat was. Techno immediately bolted up to get him a cup of water while Tharn took his seat and nodded, "I did. And I'm sorry for not... getting to you right away."

He raised his brow, "Ow, but you saved me regardless. So, thank you Pro-"

"-Tharn," he interrupted gently, "Feel free to call me Tharn outside of campus."

Type bit down on his lower lips, unsure about it before nodding and letting out a smile. His expression made Tharn laugh while Techno, who had returned with water, looked at them in suspicion.