NIKKI

In the kitchen rest a bottle of champagne along with some sweet treats in a basket, that are in the basket wrapped in plastic.
" Jojo, do you know where this is from?" I ask her as she sits at one of the stools at the island.
" No."
I look at the basket closer and see a card on it. That reads...
' Congratulations on such a accomplishment. '
" Oh, it's must be for our wedding from the owners of the place. That sweet." I say taking one the chocolate chip cookie from the basket. I walk over to Jojo and break it's in half to give to her.
" Thanks." She says eating it.
" Hey, did your dad say anything about his parents not coming to the wedding?"
" No, he didn't mention it. Neither did they."
" Okay." I say. The room gets pretty quiet for a second. " Hey, do you wanna go to town? And maybe do some shopping. We don't get much time together."
" Really?"
" Yea, I will meet you in the car. I just got to get the keys from your dad."
" Alright... Awsome." She gets off her game and run to the car.
" Be careful." I scream before I hear the door shut. I am still not use to this mom stuff. I walk into the bedroom to see Roman sleep. I tip toe hoping he does not hear me. I see the keys on the bed stand, but that's not all I see his phone. Should I grab it? Without conscious or guilt I pick up not only the keys but the phone. I find myself in the dim hallways looking through his contacts, until I found. ' Dad.' I dial the number and wait for someone to answer.
" Hello, Roman." I recognize the voice immediately, it's his dad. " Did you and Nicole and the kids land in France yet?"
" Oh... no... Hi. This is Nicole, and I think it is a misunderstanding we are in California, Napa valley to be exact, not France."
" No, Roman told me you guys were going on a family vacation in France."
" No, Roman and I are getting married in Napa. We landed hear less the an hour ago. He told me that you and his mom did not want to come."
" No, we had no idea."
" Oh... no we had no idea. I will call you back later, Nicole." He then hangs up leaving more confused.
Why would Roman lie to me?