57 | Interview

━━━━

━━━━

INTERVIEWER IS IN BOLD, LARA IS IN PLAIN TEXT

Lara Murphy On What Being Raised By Cillian Murphy Was Like

So, tell me, what was it like, your childhood that is?

My childhood? It was really hectic, to be honest. You know? I spent a lot of time in Ireland, probably until the age of six or so, that is. Then my dad made the decision to properly move to London. And he started letting me go to his jobs with him. That was fun. He obviously made sure I was well educated and even though I despised online schooling, I'm glad he made me do it.

What was set life like?

Jesus, that's like asking me what going to a theme park is like. A lot of the times... it was very fun and I had a great time learning the behind the scenes workings of film. But sometimes, I felt extremely stupid and dumb because I was just a kid and sometimes I got in the way and when I got scolded, I just... I hated that...

Did Cillian scold you often?

Oh yes! He was the one who'd go: "Oi! Lara Jean! What the fuck are ya doing? Get out of the shot or I'll ship ya to your aunts in Ireland!" That was his go-to threat! Sending me home in a bloody box!

What are your fondest memories of set life?

Probably any of my Dad's films with Tom Hardy or Juliet Russo. They're like my extended parents... truly. I love Tom and Jules with all my heart and they raised me just as much as my Dad did. I really enjoyed being on the set of Inception! Because I can kind of remember it and the entire cast looked out for me, which was fuckin' amazing!

 I really enjoyed being on the set of Inception! Because I can kind of remember it and the entire cast looked out for me, which was fuckin' amazing!

What is something your father taught you that you'd never forget?

Uh... he always would say: "If you've one stone and two targets, just wait for them to line up and make your move."

Essentially, patience is key in the acting world. I'm just lucky that my father is already an established actor, because even if I'd like to deny that giving me a boost, we all know it's true... but that stuck with me... I don't know why, but it did.

That's interesting, have you applied that to your own life?

Yea actually! When I was finishing up middle school in America, I uh– my dad told me about the role of Fawnie Shelby, he basically said that if I was willing to put my schooling on hold for a bit, then I could do it but only if I worked extra hard during the times when I could do school work.

And I was like, this is my moment to move, I've got to throw this stone so I can do what I love and work beside my Dads in the process.

Dads? What do you mean by that?!

Tom Hardy and Cillian Murphy are my fathers! Tom is actually my Godfather, like, no shit. And Julie Russo is my Godmother! We aren't particularly religious, but Dad wanted to be prepared for anything.

Oh goodness, would you consider your childhood to have been a good one, being without a Mum and all?

Definitely! Yes, of course! My Dad did a spectacular job handling his acting career and a  little girl! He's honestly been my number one supporter since we lost my Mum and even if I was too young to remember her, I know it was exponentially easier with her. But at the end of the day, it's simple.

I've got a really good life, I won't try and deny that. It's just some parts of it aren't all sunshine and rainbows, some parts are dark and bruised and people have got to understand that I'm only human.

 It's just some parts of it aren't all sunshine and rainbows, some parts are dark and bruised and people have got to understand that I'm only human

It sounds like, despite the hardships thrown at the Murphy family, you've persevered?

Well, we've had to, we had no choice but to persevere. My Dad taught me that being emotionally strong far outweighs that of being physically strong. And he's always been accepting and supportive of me, which has been bloody amazing.

In regards to your recent Instagram post, you are indeed Pansexual?

Yes, I am. I'm sure you're wondering how I knew? I just did, to be honest. I haven't been in any relationships due to my chaotic life but I know without a doubt, that if someone whom I enjoy being around and could possibly be a potential love interest for me... that it wouldn't matter if they were a guy or a gal, someone who's nonbinary, etc. I don't mind, I love the person and not the label.

Thank you so much for your time, Lara! We hope to have you back soon!

No, thank you! I had fun answering your questions and I hope you all have a wonderful time! 

This was BBC1Radio and that was Lara Jean Murphy, the up and coming young star of the amazing period drama, Peaky Blinders.

She plays Fawnie Shelby, Thomas Shelby's youngest and most similar sibling, and Peaky Blinders Series 4 will be out this November!

Thank you for having me!

Thank you!